Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Gene Roddenberry was still alive and still in control

Options
  • 19-10-2014 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Of Star Trek. Do you think it would be much different and more popular than it is now or less so?
    What do you think he would make of the last two films?

Me I think he would not have been a fan of a show on a space station so I think DS9 might not have got made but I do think we would have still got lots of other great adventures some other way. Maybe we would still have a new series on tv. DS9 is my favorite show by the way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Less so

TOS was cancelled due to poor ratings. I only really started liking TNG when Roddenberry stepped back from creative control (Season 3)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely less popular. Star Trek is more popular now than it has been in years, thanks to the last two films. I'm not saying i like everything about where its gone, but you can be sure it wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful if Roddenberry was still in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

But the last two films were not really proper Star Trek films. They were more like action films and coud have had any name on them with just slightly different ships. Star Trek is supposed to be about real world issues and its take on them as well as on conservative issues trying to get people to be more open minded and hope for a better future for mankind where we can all work together for the betterment of mankind not for money or greed,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think the popularity of the films is mostly hot air. Casual cinemagoers aren't interested in the shows, the fanbase are, I would presume, somewhat ambivalent. The first of the nu-trek films was a much needed shot of adrenaline in the arm . The stagnancy of star trek was evident with Voyager, to get away from that universe with some frenetic paced action and a big, as opposed to mid-ranged, budget to give the franchise the grandeur it deserves, was sorely needed. But the second one reflected everything that is wrong with Hollywood, old tropes, old ideas, lack of originality or charm. The third one is being directed by a first time director who worked on some sh1t films apparently so I expect it to bomb. These films only give the illusion that Star Trek is back, it's not. No one wants optimistic future based tv shows atm, they want 'darkness' and 'cynicism'. There was a certain innocence/sense of fun in the era that TNG was made but it's gone now as audiences have become more 'sophisticated' or aware of cheese. Episodic tv shows are out which is sad, it's all about arc-narratives. DS9 successfully adapted to this trend. If there is to be a show it shouldn't be American-centric, we need some Shakespearean actors/actresses to fill the roles, American actors/actresses are incredibly bland a lot of the time. For example a younger Brian Blessed as a Klingon would have been awesome. Even Brian Blessed as an old Klingon would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Never thought of Brian Blessed as a Klingon but that would be bloody brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement