Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yaris hybrid bad reviews

Options
  • 19-10-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭

I checked out the yaris hybrid yesterday and saw where some people were getting as low as 41 mpg :eek: I thought that they mustn't know how to drive them properly but one man had a prius before buying the yaris and he was getting 60 mpg and he is only getting 44mpg with the yaris hybrid. Are the yaris hybrids really that bad?

Comments

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I checked out the yaris hybrid yesterday and saw where some people were getting as low as 41 mpg :eek: I thought that they mustn't know how to drive them properly but one man had a prius before buying the yaris and he was getting 60 mpg and he is only getting 44mpg with the yaris hybrid. Are the yaris hybrids really that bad?

I'm always cautious when I read someone's mpg claims because a lot of people don't know how to correctly calculate mpg or do a U.S mpg conversion instead of an imperial one. And worse again, some people are driving along on a normal national road then reset the trip computer as they come to the motorway to see what mpg they get.

Some people reset the trip computer before each trip to try better the last which is pretty useless, the idea is to fill the tank, reset the trip computer and when the tank is empty record the average mpg for that tank.

Or calculate it at the pump.

I have no experience with the yaris hybrid, it's exactly the same as the Prius afaik. So in theory it should do better mpg considering people can get 73 mpg in the MK III Prius.

I can get 60 mpg easy enough in the MK II Prius some do much worse because they drive aggressively and/or very fast, well above legal speeds with lots of overtaking etc.

You do have to learn how to drive a hybrid properly.

My OH gets 53 mpg in the prius per tank average so I would consider this to be the worst case in the MK II Prius because she's not interested in learning how to make best use of the hybrid system.

If the yaris has the same engine, motor, battery etc then I couldn;t believe it capable of only 44 mpg.

44 mpg is 52.84 mpg in imperial, so there could be a mistake there with what you're reading ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was pricing a standard yaris and hybrid yaris yesterday when you do the sums the hybrid doesn't make sense. The standard costs €17k hybrid costs €20k which is €3k difference.

If you are doing 12k miles a year and the standard yaris does 55 mpg thats 12000/55x€7/gal= €1527/year.

The hybrid doing 74 mpg 12000/74x7= €1135/year.

€1525-€1135= €390 so you are saving €390/year with the hybrid if you divide the extra cost of the hybrid by the saving 3000/390= 7.69 so you will have it 7.69 years to recover the extra cost.

I was pricing a standard yaris and hybrid yaris yesterday when you do the sums the hybrid doesn't make sense. The standard costs €17k hybrid costs €20k which is €3k difference.

If you are doing 12k miles a year and the standard yaris does 55 mpg thats 12000/55x€7/gal= €1527/year.

The hybrid doing 74 mpg 12000/74x7= €1135/year.

€1525-€1135= €390 so you are saving €390/year with the hybrid if you divide the extra cost of the hybrid by the saving 3000/390= 7.69 so you will have it 7.69 years to recover the extra cost.

The standard 1.3 petrol automatic, the multidrive is only 500 Euro's cheaper than the hybrid !

The manual is about €1800 Cheaper than the hybrid.

The diesel manual car is 1 K cheaper, if it were available with an automatic it would be more expensive than the hybrid.

I just checked the hybrid Yaris, its not the same as the Prius. It's about 134 hp for the prius (combined) and 99 for the yaris.

If you like automatics then the hybrid does make a lot of sense and will be cheaper to maintain, there are no belts to replace, no timing belt etc, easier on the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

The standard 1.3 petrol automatic, the multidrive is only 500 Euro's cheaper than the hybrid !

The manual is about €1800 Cheaper than the hybrid.

The diesel manual car is 1 K cheaper, if it were available with an automatic it would be more expensive than the hybrid.

I just checked the hybrid Yaris, its not the same as the Prius. It's about 134 hp for the prius (combined) and 99 for the yaris.

If you like automatics then the hybrid does make a lot of sense and will be cheaper to maintain, there are no belts to replace, no timing belt etc, easier on the brakes.
    Where are they that price? I was pricing them at a garage on Saturday, Yaris luna manual with reversing camera was 17k and the hybrid 20k.

Where are they that price? I was pricing them at a garage on Saturday, Yaris luna manual with reversing camera was 17k and the hybrid 20k.

ToyotaYarisHybridPrice.jpg

http://www.toyota.ie/downloads/Toyota-retail-price-list.pdf

The Luna is 17.5 K manual,

The automatic is 19,500 .

The hybrid starts at 19,500, is automatic and includes dual zone climate.

Both the hybrid and the non hybrid are about the same power.

The hybrid gets Alloys the Luna gets steel wheels, Despite the hybrid saying steel wheels when you actually look at the specs the hybrid is in addition to the Sol trim which includes alloys.

The hybrid fairs good when you consider you get alloys, automatic and dual zone climate for about 1K more than the 1.3 petrol automatic.

for 17.5K You could go with the 1.3 manual Luna with no alloys, dual zone climate and some other kit is missing. And higher fuel consumption.

I don't think the hybrid is over priced what so ever, it's not comparing apples with apples with the 1.3 manual Luna though when you look into it.

In fact for 400 extra than the 1.3 automatic the hybrid looks like a good deal to me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's assuming you think an automatic yaris is good value to start with.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    That's assuming you think an automatic yaris is good value to start with.

No, I don't think it is, after all you can get the basic leaf for 20,500 euro's and has no gears and miles cheaper to run than a yaris manual or automatic.

I don't think many yaris owners are doing big mileage either.

Advertisement