Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Switching to estate/SUV

Options
  • 19-10-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Currently I'm driving a '11 BMW520D saloon and thinking of switching in the new year to somethign that can carry more such as bikes etc. I have narrowed it down to the following

1. Stick with 520D but get a touring
    2. Audi A6 Avant (new spec coming in Jan '15 looks good)
    3. Skoda superb elegance
    4. Lexus NX300h

The obvious are #1 & 2 but the superb in elegance or L&K trim is very well finished and about 10-15k cheaper

I like the lexus as well, it looks modern, has a good bit of space and I used to drive the older RX400h and loved the comfort and quietness of it.

The main reason for change is carrying the bikes without messing about taking wheels of or using roofracks. The more open boot is also useful day to day. I like the looks of the estate versions of these cars more and more over the saloons. The Lexus is just a wildcard that interests me.

Would I be nuts switching "sideways" to something like the skoda? How would resale be for something like this at the highest spec (170 bhp DSG) compared to BMEW or Audi?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

I have a 2011 Superb Combi and they are a good car, but are not in the same class as a 5 series or A6 - so it will be step down, not sideways. I'd be careful about going for a top of range Superb as although they loaded with spec when they are 3/4 years old the used car buyer won't pay such a premium

If you are carrying bicycles way not get a tow bar for the 520d and a proper Thule bike carrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Casati. I thought the same about resale value of the skoda. If I were to get 1 it would be the 170 BHP DSG elegance and I'm not convinced there would be much appetite for it compared to the many 1.6L or 2.0 140BHP models.

I had considered roof racks or tail mounts but would prefer being able to put the bikes in the car for security etc. Also general load carrying is more convenient with the estate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I would stick with option 1 or 2.
    You would regret the Skoda at resale time and it would be a move down from your current car.
    Great car that the Superb is, it is not in the same class as the Audi and BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you like the way the F10 drives and handles then you will probably be disappointed with the way the others drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

For another suggestion, have you considered a Subaru Outback or Legacy?

I've just bought a 2006 Outback 2.5l Petrol and it drives really well and I am surprisingly impressed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement