Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardman vs shadowman

Options
  • 19-10-2014 6:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm contemplating giving an ironman distance a shot this year, all my friends have done at least 1 and they're becoming a pain to listen too so I thought I better try join them. Due to financial reasons I'll not be able to travel abroad so did a search for races on the Emerald Isle and these 2 popped up, hardman and shadowman. Anybody here recommend 1 over the other? Any advice appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I couldn't recommend Showman

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I've done the Shadowman half distance twice now and found it great both years. This year being an improvement on the first.

This one thing I will say for the full course is that you will be on you own for a sizable part of it. The double loop on the bike and with so few people doing the full, expect to see very few people.

That being said I was thinking of doing the full course this year as I liked the route. I've decided to go abroad though for a race with more people

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pot p

Kander wrote: »
    I've done the Shadowman half distance twice now and found it great both years. This year being an improvement on the first.

This one thing I will say for the full course is that you will be on you own for a sizable part of it. The double loop on the bike and with so few people doing the full, expect to see very few people.

That being said I was thinking of doing the full course this year as I liked the route. I've decided to go abroad though for a race with more people

With me not bein the fastest person ever, I'd sort of expected to be dropped by everybody anyway haha. Athlone would be an easier place for me to get to but there's a certain appeal about the ring of Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I know a few who did the half and found it ok but id be concerned that the organisers are not committed to the time required for a full.

i spoke to about 8 others at the end of the full and that is a quarter of the entrants, comments ranged from, no food, no showers, Marshalls telling competitors they had been dnf'd long before cut off and race director tapping his watch at runners as they started their last lap all well within cut off times. Cycle times not adjusted for train stoppages etc.

After the event no times were posted for a good few of us slower people despite all being considerably within the race cut off times.

i enjoyed the course and setting.

I know a few who did the half and found it ok but id be concerned that the organisers are not committed to the time required for a full.

i spoke to about 8 others at the end of the full and that is a quarter of the entrants, comments ranged from, no food, no showers, Marshalls telling competitors they had been dnf'd long before cut off and race director tapping his watch at runners as they started their last lap all well within cut off times. Cycle times not adjusted for train stoppages etc.

After the event no times were posted for a good few of us slower people despite all being considerably within the race cut off times.

i enjoyed the course and setting.

Was it shadowman you did or hardman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I had a very similar question and was convinced by more seasoned people in my club that if I was going to put in all that training and sacrifice, that it would be easier if there was an exciting event to look forward to at the end.

I haven't done either, but wanted to pass in the advice I got. I did an IM event and was glad of the big race feel and it certainly helped my training.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

I done Hardman in 2012 and the half in Shadowman last year.
    My preference would be Hardman.
    Both are lacking in structure, but found the crew at Hardman far more accomodating, course was better across the board, and organization better (not good, just better).
    For me, the course in Hardman is the best asset of the race - especially the run through the national park.

I won't be doing shadowman again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'm a big fan of Hardman, I've done it 3 times. The big pluses are the relatively low cost (book a house in Kerry and turn it into a family holiday), the easy logistics and the course (all three parts are nice). The negatives are it's small (lonely bike), nowhere near as polished as an IM or Challenge event (can be a bit rough around the edges) and the roads are open for the bike and can be very busy at times. If you are only ever going to do one IM I would always say go abroad and do a big event. However if you cant go abroad / are not too bothered about the type of event then I'd certainly recommend Hardman.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭trainerman

I'd second what griffin says - did Hardman in 2013 & loved it. Great course, v friendly organisers & a great location for a family break too. Bike course was quiet but in my opinion this is what IM racing is about, no problems with traffic for me. Planning on going back in 2015 which must say something about it as a race.
    Can't comment on shadowman but Killarney vs Athlone - Killarney wins hands down for me.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Hardman, I've done it 3 times. The big pluses are the relatively low cost (book a house in Kerry and turn it into a family holiday), the easy logistics and the course (all three parts are nice). The negatives are it's small (lonely bike), nowhere near as polished as an IM or Challenge event (can be a bit rough around the edges) and the roads are open for the bike and can be very busy at times. If you are only ever going to do one IM I would always say go abroad and do a big event. However if you cant go abroad / are not too bothered about the type of event then I'd certainly recommend Hardman.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭coppinger

Did Killarney in 2012 and then did athlone in 2013,2014. Racing at home its financially viable to do an ironman every year for me, would probably race abroad if I had bags of cash or was doing a one time bucket list race. No complaints about either event, great value for money - the swim in both was the same brown lake, the killarney bike wins for awesome views and the run was similar in both. Did athlone the last two years purely for logistics from dublin, able to drive home after the race. Plus racing at home you could win some cash if you are fastish - (~10 hours). Weather wise you wont get heatstroke, but you do have to be mentally ready for possible cold wet conditions. Toying with the notion of doing more than one of these next year, maybe even throwing in the ireman in groomsport and doing the irish tripleman in august!!!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feed back people, sort of my mind made up about hardman so let the training begin haha

Advertisement