Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will my rear light cause me to fail NCT?

Options
  • 19-10-2014 3:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, as most of you know I have a 2004 BMW 320ci, which means I have the LED taillights.

Will that many LEDs broken cause me to fail the test?

q5ilVf8.jpg?1

Comments

If less than half of the LEDs in a single matrix aren't illuminating you'll pass, hard to gather from the picture if there's more or less than half of them faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

18/30 supposedly working...
    But I don't want to take chances on this, so I ordered a new light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Is the cluster all wired right? No loose connections?

Yeah, moist got into the bloody thing and killed them off. Typical E46 issue unfortunately.
    And it's always the left one! Design flaw perhaps?

Sobanek wrote: »
    Yeah, moist got into the bloody thing and killed them off. Typical E46 issue unfortunately.
    And it's always the left one! Design flaw perhaps?

Are the seals perished?

• Advertisement

Are the seals perished?
    It's got a tiny 1mm crack on the housing and it's covered in algae from the inside.

Sobanek wrote: »
    It's got a tiny 1mm crack on the housing and it's covered in algae from the inside.

So yes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Only a visual retest if it fails, so why bother spending money until you have to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Only a visual retest if it fails, so why bother spending money until you have to ?

Because it's not right

Why isn't it 'right' ???
    The Op has stated that 18/30 Led's are working. This is more than 50%, so it is not an NCT fail.
    Do you replace your tyres just because they have 60% of the original Tread remaining and look a bit worn ?

Just to clarify...The Op's Thread Title is Will my rear light cause me to fail NCT?
    The answer is No.

• Advertisement

It's not right because the near side light glow would be only half the size of the other light. While it MAY pass the NCT it would not look right and would prob eventually need to be replaced.The op als said that he has ordered a new lamp,which I think is a wise idea. Why wait until either the car fails the NCT or the light fails.

But it's not going to fail the NCT.:rolleyes:
    And nether is the light going to suddenly cease working. The Led's will gradually stop working one by one.
    At present he has 60% of the Led's functioning so (again) what's not right ?

Could also fail due to the moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Because it's not right
    mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Why isn't it 'right' ???
    The Op has stated that 18/30 Led's are working. This is more than 50%, so it is not an NCT fail.
    Do you replace your tyres just because they have 60% of the original Tread remaining and look a bit worn ?

Just to clarify...The Op's Thread Title is Will my rear light cause me to fail NCT?
    The answer is No.

The aesthetics of the car are off, replace it IMO, a wrong colored door mirror wouldn't fail but most people would replace/respray it to achieve balance

While it may pass and does not need replacing (according to mgb ) it is also not up to manufacturers standard,therefore it's not right and needs to be replaced.

Advertisement