Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to check if car had VRT paid?

Options
  • 18-10-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to check if vehicle registered in Ireland had VRT paid?

F.e. if I buy a car on donedeal, is there any way I can check that car wasn't liable to exemption from VRT in the past, and because of that in case of export, VRT refund will not be applicable?
    Or the only option is risk it, buy a car, and hope during presenting it for VRT refund inspection that they won't tell me "sorry maid, no refund possible here, as VRT was never paid".

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,397 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think there's any way of knowing until you actually present the car for inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

CiniO wrote: »
    Is there any way to check if vehicle registered in Ireland had VRT paid?

F.e. if I buy a car on donedeal, is there any way I can check that car wasn't liable to exemption from VRT in the past, and because of that in case of export, VRT refund will not be applicable?
    Or the only option is risk it, buy a car, and hope during presenting it for VRT refund inspection that they won't tell me "sorry maid, no refund possible here, as VRT was never paid".

?

I think the only way would be to get the current owner to check it out - assuming that they were not the original owner. Otherwise Data protection might preclude the information being provided.

By the by, if they refer to you as "maid", RUN.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Why would you want to claim back Vrt on a car you bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

You can export certain cars claim back the vrt and make a profit
    Clino is polish iirc so be probably has a route to market as such

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Tigger wrote: »
    You can export certain cars claim back the vrt and make a profit
    Clino is polish iirc so be probably has a route to market as such

Well, so far they wouldn't register RHD car in Poland, but due to judgement of EU court of justice from March 2014, they are working on new law, and most likely from 1st Januray 2015 registarion of RHD cars will be allowed there.

Now consider few facts about Poland - f.e. that average salary is about 11k per annum, not many people can afford new cars and most buy second hand, usually from Germany as it's a huge market with plenty of second hand cars, but much more expensive than in UK and Ireland.
    There is a big chance, that many Polish people will decide to import car to Poland from UK or Ireland, as prices of some cars might be even twice cheaper here than in Germany. Adding to the fact, that insurance costs nothing there in Poland and there is no road tax, I suspect quite high demand for Irish cheap hi spec luxury big engined cars, which are sold for donuts here because of crazy motortax rates.

• Advertisement

vinnie13 wrote: »
    Why would you want to claim back Vrt on a car you bought?

Because you can claim it, when you export the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That's interesting, I didn't think Poland would ever allow RHD cars to be imported.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I think the only way would be to get the current owner to check it out - assuming that they were not the original owner. Otherwise Data protection might preclude the information being provided.

Better than nothing.
    But again - how would the current owner go about checking it? Ringing revenue in person? Or any other way?
    By the by, if they refer to you as "maid", RUN.

Ehh, my spelling assistant in Chrome, didn't indicate it on red, so I though it was grand :D

That's interesting, I didn't think Poland would ever allow RHD cars to be imported.

Well, they probably wouldn't if they were not forced to do so, by EU court of justice.
    By reading Polish forums, watching news, or comments, etc, I can see that majority of Polish society is against it.
    They are afraid that young lads will import cheap very powerful stuff from UK, and kill themselves and others with steering wheel on the wrong side.

I'm not so negative, and I'm generally happy it's happening, as I'll be probably able to gain on this somehow ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

plenty of lhd for sale here

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    plenty of lhd for sale here

Well, not that many...
    And usually they are more expensive than RHD versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ehh, my spelling assistant in Chrome, didn't indicate it on red, so I though it was grand :D

A "maid" is either a young, virginal woman or someone who cleans your house; I don't think you're either of those.
    Well, not that many...
    And usually they are more expensive than RHD versions.

I'd be willing to bet that, with the exception of unusual models such as CHP's, most LHD cars in Ireland were imported VRT free or certainly have a higher propensity to have been imported on that basis than RHD cars.

Advertisement