Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths Help

Options
  • 18-10-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

My teacher likes setting us questioned that are slightly harder than what's on the exam, due to the randomness of last year's paper. I can't see to figure this one out though- you have to find the equilibrium angle for theta by resolving the weight and tension in the spring, but I haven't a clue how to. Any ideas? I don't know how to upload photos onto this, but it's basically a ring with a spring attached to the top, and a mass attached to the other end of the spring, on the inside rim, so that the spring makes an angle theta to the vertical. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wmirl

Upload some pictures onto somewhere like Imgur or attach them to your post.

In general, if a body is in equilibrium, then the sum of the forces is zero. Resolve each force into horizontal and vertical components, which should bring in theta somehow. You should then have some equations to solve in theta. Without knowing the exact way the question is phrased, I can't really say what to do.

Advertisement