Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The locals in Paris are not happy....

Options
  • 18-10-2014 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Oooh. They ain't happy in Le France.

Have you ever spotted anything that resembles an 'offensive giant sex toy' in the name of art, in any other part of the world?

The Spire dosn't count ;)
    Metro UK: #PlugGate: ‘Giant sex toy’ punctured by locals as artist is punched for shaming Paris

Ah, the Place Vendôme.

North of the Tuileries Gardens in Paris, it was built as a monument to the glory of the armies of Louis XIV, later destroyed in the French Revolution and rebuilt by Napoleon I, torn down again, and rebuilt again.

It’s truly a historic place.

Perhaps it isn’t surprising, therefore, that our cousins across the channel have not taken kindly to the – ahem – erection of a piece of inflatable ‘art’ in their historic square that bears a striking resemblance to a sex toy.

The 75ft-tall bright green butt plug – optimistically called ‘Tree’ by its creator – has offended Parisians so much that locals punctured the structure late last night and cut the wires keeping it upright, as well as venting their anger on Twitter using the hashtag #PlugGate.

‘Individuals have severed the cables that hold the sculpture in place, taking advantage of a momentary lack of a security guard,’ said a police spokesman.

One local man even punched artist Paul McCarthy three times in the face, screaming that he is not French and his work has no place in the city.

The 69-year-old American meanwhile, who was not injured severely in the attack, has insisted ‘Tree’ is ‘an abstract work’.

‘It all started with a joke: Originally, I thought that anal plug had a shape similar to the sculptures of Brancusi,’ he said.

‘The people may be offended if they want to refer to ‘the plug’ but for me, this is more of an abstraction.’

The work was created for the International Contemporary Art Fair, which takes place in Paris from 23 to 36 October.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Bloody Paris-ites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Is that the term for paris people? Paris-ites? Doesn't seem to roll off the tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

But...but...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There's a butt plug in the middle of London they call 'The Gherkin'!

EDIT: I thought the OP was having a laugh, just checked the link, and it's an actual butt plug! :pac:

I suppose it'll attract the kind of tourists that do those pictures with the pyramids...

Weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

kneemos wrote: »
    But...but...
    2-0?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

cloud493 wrote: »
    Is that the term for paris people? Paris-ites? Doesn't seem to roll off the tongue.

No. Parisians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Gargantua and Pantagruel should be more careful where they leave their personal items

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

The Torre Agbar.

Giant neon dildo......but then again, anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

23-36 of October? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Parisians not happy? Would you be happy if you found out you were a cheese sniffing surrender monkey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

Ok so perhaps not offensive and not a sex toy but it falls into a similar category - there's a monument in a Polish city that looks like a giant...well...THIS

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

It's not too bad. As long as they don't try to put a giant butt over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

andala wrote: »
    Ok so perhaps not offensive and not a sex toy but it falls into a similar category - there's a monument in a Polish city that looks like a giant...well...THIS

That took me a while to cop :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

scudzilla wrote: »
    Parisians not happy? Would you be happy if you found out you were a cheese sniffing surrender monkey?

I'm surprised they haven't gone on strike about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Since when have Parisians been happy ? maybe after the storming of the bastile or something,

andala wrote: »

What's wrong with that? Looks just like a random sculpture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    What's wrong with that? Looks just like a random sculpture.

This reminds me of one of those optical illusion pictures, you see a random sculpture, I see a giant vagina :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Oooh. They ain't happy in Le France.

Have you ever spotted anything that resembles an 'offensive giant sex toy' in the name of art, in any other part of the world?

The Spire dosn't count ;)

this is worse

This reminds me of one of those optical illusion pictures, you see a random sculpture, I see a giant vagina :eek:

Oh. Well I've never seen a vagina :( so all I see is a nice sculpture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Thankfully the Paris 'sex toy' sculpture has been sabotaged at Place Vendome. For a country fast approaching 100% GDP debt maybe they should sort out their fiscal matters firstly, ze Germans were getting very concerned this week. French government debt now surpassing 2 trillion euros, or some 95 percent of GDP

I'm all for a splash of Art but some recent stuff is 'pas bon', Take a look at Grayson Perry new house, ah sure it's grand 'art' so it is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

cloud493 wrote: »

You're dealing with The Cunning Linguist in fairness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Joe Doe wrote: »
    I'm all for a splash of Art but some recent stuff is 'pas bon', Take a look at Grayson Perry new house, ah sure it's grand 'art' so it is?
    Perry has said that he hopes and believes that the cottage 'will add greatly to the cultural standing of the area'

It will indeed alright :cool:. It hurts my eyes :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

mewe wrote: »
    You're dealing with The Cunning Linguist in fairness ;)

D'you think you know me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

A sex toy?

I thought the French always used there hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

A friend posted that on my Facebook yeaterday with the caption 'your Christmas present is in Paris'. I laughed..... then checked the price of flights to Paris....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I'm as liberal and open-minded as the next person when it comes to matters artistic and sexual, but these principles go out the window when there's bottoms involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Not the first time prick art has been on display down in the Vendome.

Strangely enough, the Parisians didn't kick up a stink over this crap a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/04/13/malta-mustnt-offend-the-pope/

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/the-arts/phallic-art-sparks-row-ahead-of-pope-s-malta-visit-t5017.html

The protestors didn't get their way - it's still there, but I think I remember a few of them holding up sheets in front of it as the Pope's cavalcade passed by. :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

How about this sculpture in Trinity College?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

D'you think you know me?

I was making a joke of how you said paris-ites and you have linguist in your username but it's not that important...

Advertisement