Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac (mid 2011) died

Options
  • 18-10-2014 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Mid 2011 27" iMac died the other day.

iMac screen went white, I restarted it using the power button and when it switched back on the cd drive did the usual sound but there was no chime and the screen is black, checked with a torch and the screen is not on at all.

I'd a friend install an ssd drive (former Apple repair technician) which is probably outside the warranty (it was out of warranty anyway). Is this a common issue? It's 3 years and 3 months old, which is pretty young for a machine to die.

What can I do?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Dermighty wrote: »
    Hi all,

Mid 2011 27" iMac died the other day.

iMac screen went white, I restarted it using the power button and when it switched back on the cd drive did the usual sound but there was no chime and the screen is black, checked with a torch and the screen is not on at all.

I'd a friend install an ssd drive (former Apple repair technician) which is probably outside the warranty (it was out of warranty anyway). Is this a common issue? It's 3 years and 3 months old, which is pretty young for a machine to die.

What can I do?

Do you know what video card is in the Mac? If it is a Nvidia 8xxx series chip then unfortunately this is likely the cause of the issue. Not sure if Apple would be of any help, although as there is a known high failure rate for these graphics chipsets they may be willing to help.
    If it is a Nvidia 8xxx GPU this site may be useful for advise, including how to deal with out of warranty repairs

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

I dont get the bit about the SSD, did your friend out this in to try fix the issue?

Does the optical drive make the sound on every power up?

I would guess its the power board with what little info you gave, thats a cheap and easy fix if so.. Just dont open the machine for a good 30mins after it was last plugged in or you might get a small jolt from it as the capacitors can hold a bit of charge in them.

Logic board or harddrive or other hardware problems usually still allow you to to get past the Power-On-Self-Test part of the startup process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Ssd was a hard drive upgrade. Just giving some backstory, that's all.

SuperDrive powers every time it's turned on.

Keyboard and mouse get zero power at all.

Ok, take the glass off its help on with magnets so a small suction cup of lng fingernail behind it will do.

Down the left and right side of the lcd are 4 screws (Each Side)

Tilt the LCD a little forward and remove the 3 or four ribbon cables

Remove the LCD carefull

Plug it in (be careful not to touch anything inside at this point)

Can you see the status lights in the middle of the board lighting?

Check this Ok, take the glass off its help on with magnets so a small suction cup of lng fingernail behind it will do.

Down the left and right side of the lcd are 4 screws (Each Side)

Tilt the LCD a little forward and remove the 3 or four ribbon cables

Remove the LCD carefull

Plug it in (be careful not to touch anything inside at this point)

Can you see the status lights in the middle of the board lighting?

Check this then

ifixit.com/Answers/View/11814/LED+power+supply+and+logic+board+tests

Sorry I dont know whats going on with my posts (I cant edit them either)..

Short story anyway, other than a logic board replacement you probably have a cheap easy repair on your hands

• Advertisement
Advertisement