Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine takes its time to start

Options
  • 17-10-2014 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I have a 2005 Seat Toledo mk3. The car starts straight away when it's cold but when it's warm it takes ages to start. Just keeps turning over and then shutters and starts. Does anybody know what it's problem is? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Is it 1.9TDi ?

Usual cause on these is a lazy starter. One way to detect is to check battery voltage when cranking. Needs to be above 9V if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jay01

Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow. If it does return above 9v is there anything else I could look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is filters dirty or due a good service.

Good advice above had similar problems with my 1.9 tdi Leon.

Glow plugs could be a problem also I know sounds weird it starts cold but is possible problem.

Yeah I've only just fully serviced it. Changed the plugs checked for any lose wiring. I've come across a couple of people with the same problem in skoda's and golf's. One person was told it could be the injectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would'nt change the injectors unless gets real bad.

• Advertisement

I've tested the battery when the cars cold and hot and I'm getting readings of 10v and 11v. Any further ideas I could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

If its a petrol I bet ya it's the cool t temp sensor for the coolest common fault feel free to ask and il walk you through it

It's a 1.9tdi. I changed the temperature sensor because the needle was going up and down as I'd drive. The needle works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

You may have changed the wrong sensor. There are two coolant temperature switches, one is for the dash temp gauge, the other is used for fuelling. If an erroneous signla is being given by this sensor (which are very prone to failure) then the engine PCM will either fire injectors too lng or short a duration and case starting issues. A live data scan will reveal this within minutes.

Advertisement