Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FS AMS/pb3 Coolmine swim session thursday 6.10-7.40 am

Options
  • 17-10-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

This might be of interest for some. Thanks to mod pigbo for authorizing it.

Swim sessions at coolmines pool thursday 6 am.
    9 week block starting next week the 23rd finishing december the 17th

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Coolmine+Sports+%26+Leisure+Centre/@53.38711,-6.395984,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x39fdd71588630cb

what

overall 90 min swim enduracnce session this block to be focused on technique work for some 30 min and during endurance part of the session coach will keep an eye on stroke. Later in the block miles will be increased and usally the faster guys cocer around 4.2 -5,2 and the slower guys 3.6-4.6 k . different groups will do different sets , and even people of the same level will use different tools and toys.
    ( it is not a 1 to 1 session at the same not not 1 program fits all)

for whom

triathletes open water swimmmer and just swimmer.
    for the people that want to push their swimming to the next level. people that are prepared to work hard and with an positive attitudeto add to the quality of the session ( clowns, egomans and people that make 2 swims out of 10 not welcome )
    we can cater for sub 5 - 8 min 400 meter swimmer possible a bit slower if you are really decicated and i feel we could getyou to the required level soon. So what iam trying to say its not so much where you are now but where you want to get to. in a way everybody is welcome as long as they do their best not to interfere with other swimmers and show a work ethics that adds to the group . but lazy and slow is not going to work and if you are slow you must be seen to be seriously decidicated.

coaches idea aobut swimming

triathlon swimming id different to pool swimming. the swim does affect the bike and therefore the swim is more important than many triathletes think ( at the same time its only part of a triathlon ) Coach accepts there is many strokes that can work but with a bias that openwater swimmer needs a slighly faster cadeance than a pool swimmmer ( if you sleep with you total immersion book than this might not work for you , at the same time we do also use total immersion drills .....) Not very strict on the watch more interested the enough rest is taken when needed and what matters for triathlon so usually there is always an aspect in the session the reflects open water swimming be it drafting passing people swim in packs etc etc . Since we will have the full pool we will also be able to take of lanes and swim in groups in circles in the pool.

How much

first 9 week block is 135 euro for and a 20 % discount for people that do 2 sessions or as part of a coaching package
    ( there is other sessions at westwod mo and wed am tuesday am soon to start in a pool close to coolmines ) and friday 5.30 -7 in the city centre )

what do you need

the stables
    stop watch , paddle, pulbouy ( or 2 ) bands ( if you dodnt have them wait until i have seen you swimming to advise what will be best

optional and depending to the individual snorkle , kick board , neopean shorts. metronom.

Btw last year we saw great improvment but also saw one guy to deimporve from 58 to 59 at ironman frankfurt.... just so you know it dosnt work for everybody and we dodnt promise you to become a superstar.

is this for me ....

if you are new you can try the first session and if you dodnt like it you can walk away no questions asked after first session ( and no payment) at the same time I also resrerve the right to decline you after the first session. ( greater good for the greater people approach so pelase dodnt take it perosnal)

discalimer
    while in conjuntion with a club ( open to everybody regardless) this is a commerical session so if you dont like that, you have enough other options and nobody forces you to participate.

if you have any further question send a PM or email peter@pb3coaching.com or enquire through the website of active multisport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good to see these going again Peter.

www.activmultisport.com or https://www.facebook.com/ActivMultisport

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I started swimming with Peter this time last year and the sessions brought me on a good bit (as too did swimming with Interested on a Friday). Peter's a great coach and has a unique motivational style.

Unfortunately I became one of the lazy people and stopped making any sessions after about March when I took a new job - I was hoping to get back to these but they just don't work time wise for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

peter kern wrote: »
    Btw last year we saw great improvment but also saw one guy to deimporve from 58 to 59 at ironman frankfurt.... just so you know it dosnt work for everybody and we dodnt promise you to become a .

No idea who that person is but in real terms they improved by 3/4mins. Course was marshalled/marked wrong in 2nd loop on 2nd lap adding 300mtrs so your charge actually improved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No idea who that person is but in real terms they improved by 3/4mins. Course was marshalled/marked wrong in 2nd loop on 2nd lap adding 300mtrs so your charge actually improved.

The German's don't measure courses wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

his previous swim coach would disagree with you ( keeps telling me i made him slower) .

i cant really disagree with your comment maybe make it 2.5 -3.5 min ) but i was thinking he had been sandbagging the year before and i still would have expected him to beat the time or at least hold last years time and pool times had improved . It would be a great case study with many intersting factors but I dodnt want to get further into it unless i was to get permission from the athlete. But fact is i would not call it a coaching success from my point of view . the athelte could think differntly and had expressed this once in a very nice way , but what i was trying to say, either my fault or circumstances there is no improve guaranttee and it happens to about 1 in 10 \
    and sometimes once you have reached a certain level its not anymore that easy to improve. But in the case i mentioned i saw more possible improvement and we coaches are very quick to announce success but often from results like this ourselves and atheltes can learn more and its not always easy to improve )
    I d love to see him back as stuff like this annoys me

courdelion yes great motivation skills....can i remind you that you had time to go for breakfast with the lads after the session ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Peter, will there be a space for me at this if I show up on Thursday?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ray o

zico10 wrote: »

A mail just went out there Alan, there is space on Thursday. No harm to mail MOC though.

yes there is space
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

The German's don't measure courses wrong ;)

They didn't measure wrong, the course was a little different, more complex and poorly explained. People went wrong as the right way was counter intuitive. By and large everyone went wrong.

yes there is space
    cheers

Great. Go easy on me though, it'll be my first early morning since Mallorca.

See you then.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    They didn't measure wrong, the course was a little different, more complex and poorly explained. People went wrong as the right way was counter intuitive. By and large everyone went wrong.

this makes most sense as i did see some times i expected to see at the same time saw a few garmins with a good bit more than 3.86 k.

franfurt is the one famous race in central europe that does not try to shorten its course to create artificially fast times . and sub 8 and 9 and 10 h really means something in frankfurt .

I think since you shaved you must find swimming really easy and are gliding through the water like a fish ;-)
    Great. Go easy on me though, it'll be my first early morning since Mallorca.

See you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

this makes most sense as i did see some times i expected to see at the same time saw a few garmins with a good bit more than 3.86 k.

franfurt is the one famous race in central europe that does not try to shorten its course to create artificially fast times . and sub 8 and 9 and 10 h really means something in frankfurt .

Could not agree with you more. Time in an IM means sweet fa because of the shorter course races. Its your place in yout AG that matters. Why people always get hung up on time ill never know.

I think since you shaved you must find swimming really easy and are gliding through the water like a fish ;-)

That, and the few kilos I've put on give me a bit more buoyancy. Also October has seen a massive reduction in training, so I didn't arrive at your session fatigued. Every little helps. And hopefully I'll still hold good form when I get back to doing crazy hours and no longer have the time to shave.

Advertisement