Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Pressing?

• 17-10-2014 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place.
    I was looking for information on how you can tell if a vinyl record is a first pressing.
    I have The Rolling Stones No.2 Mono album
    The Matrix No. is Xarl - 6619 - 2A Side 1 and Xarl - 6620 - 1A Side 2
    I'm not looking to sell it or anything but as a real music lover, it would be great to know if I actually own a first pressing:)

Cheers
    RHB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

Cheers endacl. I was actually looking at that site earlier but my poor muddled brain is still confused whether I have a first pressing or not. But thanks for the quick reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I love having first pressings of records!!!!!

I believe I have the FIRST PRESSING of The who "Whos next" on DECCA label and it sounds amazingly good!!!!!!

I LOVE ANALOGUE!!!!!!!!!!

They're kinda cool to have, but they sound no different from any subsequent pressing.

With you on the analogue bit.

I just love playing vinyl. I don't care what anyone says. There is a difference. Its much warmer than a cd. I have most of The Doors albums now and its just divine to lower the needle on them. All hail records:-). To me its like holding a little bit of history. I also love when you find one with someones name written and the year they got it. Maybe for xmas. I do wonder where or what they were doing at that time:-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I completed my doors studio albums collection on vinyl recently. Now just packing out the collection. I love the tone.

It's a strange world where my vinyl collection looks virtually the exact same as my dads iTunes collection. Never got into the first pressing thing though. I just love the feeling of owning it. The artwork.

I completed my doors studio albums collection on vinyl recently. Now just packing out the collection. I love the tone.

It's a strange world where my vinyl collection looks virtually the exact same as my dads iTunes collection. Never got into the first pressing thing though. I just love the feeling of owning it. The artwork.

That's great:). I still have to get Morrison Hotel. I know I could order it on ebay but I would like to see could I find it at the markets or something. Makes it a bit more exciting. I haven't got any of the live albums on vinyl yet though. I did get Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine and 13 last year. I was delighted because I had thought that they had been discontinued years ago. All hail vinyl.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Probably be able to get the first pressing of the new pink floyd album if you order it now :)

I already did!

Probably be able to get the first pressing of the new pink floyd album if you order it now :)

I already did!

Well done:D. Another fine band. I think I could prob listen to Comfortably Numb on repeat. Over and over:D

Well done:D. Another fine band. I think I could prob listen to Comfortably Numb on repeat. Over and over:D

Analogue doesn't do 'repeat'!

:pac:

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »

Quit needlin' me:)
    I find that a lot of my friends think I'm mad because I buy records. They would prefer the handiness of cds or the ipod. Also to be fair. I suppose a lot of them would run a mile if they had to listen to some of the stuff I do:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

endacl wrote:
    They're kinda cool to have, but they sound no different from any subsequent pressing
    I dont wanna make ya mad buddy but THEY DO!!!!!!

I had a re-issue of Bostons first album and then i got A FIRST PRESSING (Orange Epic Label) and its even nicer sounding!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I already did!

Santa Arrived Early...
    EndlessRiverandBell.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

They're kinda cool to have, but they sound no different from any subsequent pressing.

With you on the analogue bit.

There can be a difference in the sound quality of the recordings depending on several factors. Depending on how often the Stampers were changed and consequently how often the master tapes were re-run.
    Stampers are made from the Mothers. Mothers are made from the Fathers. Fathers are made from the Lacquers and the Lacquers are cut from the Master Tapes.
    If an album goes out on a different label (e.g. EMI to Tower) they will start the process from a copy of the Master Tape.
    Later pressings can also be affected by the engineer in charge of the later pressings if he decides to alter things slightly or different equipment is being used.
    First issues should not be mistaken for first pressings though. A first pressing will be from the first stamper to be used, and many stampers can be used in a first issue of a record. All of this information can usually be obtained by the matrix numbers and other markings on the run off grove beside the label on the records.

[Gets anorack and leaves]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

These ones do... :P

DSC03944-600x450.jpg

blastman wrote: »
    These ones do... :P

DSC03944-600x450.jpg

I stand corrected, and shouldn't need to. We had something similar at home when I was a kid!

We also had a travel player, that could be loaded with a few 7" singles, pushed into slots. Kinda like a pre-walkman type thing? If I can find an image I'll link it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 thecamcam

nice dansette, thats in good nick , i love the tone of these.

Advertisement