Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't cried in 4 years?

Options
  • 17-10-2014 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Basically I'm 18, and I haven't cried nor felt the urge in cry in about 4 years. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I have been through alot of stuff in them years like family members and friends dying etc but I've never felt the urge to cry. Is it bad that i don't cry, can this lead up to serious physiological problems? Or am i just incapable of showing emotion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Yeah, I'm the same. Can't recall the last time I cried. Not an emotional person at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Better out than in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

The last time I cried was on hill 16 when Tipp won the All-Ireland in 2010, the only time I cried with delight..

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Yep you're a freak just like me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

People express emotion differently. There could be other factors but some people are more 'practical' than 'emotional'. Crying doesn't do much good, does it?

It's also possible that you may be suppressing or bottling emotion. Do films/songs get to you??

Do you feel detached from the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

guitarzero wrote: »
    Better out than in.

Nah better in then out :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I find i dont show any emotion towards really serious or bad things and then could cry at ****ing stupid things.

I wouldnt worry about it to much theres different ways of showing emotions unless u start totally feeling void to all kinds of situations you more then likely show your emotion in other ways sometimes your not even aware of.

In the 28 years ive been around i think and i im not even 100 percent sure he did ive seen me da cry once some people just dont show emotion in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

i might cry once every 6 months or so, and people say i'm cold.

4 years seems excessive , but sure if you're happy , go with it.

don't go looking for despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yeah I get the whole ice cold thing too but really I'm anything but, I'm just careful. I used to never cry. Then last year some really bad things happened and I cried pretty much constantly. I'm getting better at keeping the tears in, I cried about a month ago, and before that was probably a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

masti123 wrote: »
    Basically I'm 18, and I haven't cried nor felt the urge in cry in about 4 years. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I have been through alot of stuff in them years like family members and friends dying etc but I've never felt the urge to cry. Is it bad that i don't cry, can this lead up to serious physiological problems? Or am i just incapable of showing emotion?

My councillor says to me all the time that when something so horrific happens to you, that in order to protect you, your body shuts off from feeling the full extent of it at the time. I think it's like fight or flight mode.

Maybe one day it'll all just bubble up and you'll be upset over nothing, and everything. Or maybe you've the right attitude, and won't ever let something make you feel so terrible. Kind of like numb to life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Stand on an up-turned plug in your bare feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I get my weekly crys when I watch that show "Long Lost Family" or something like that.

Its good to get them out. (the tears)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Those two lumps which have grown below your belt,..they're the reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

There is a hormone that does it. It doesn't mean you don't feel. Your body just does it differently. It is a response to the stress experienced by the sympathetic nervous system.

I don't think it means you feel less.

I cry personally I don't think it means you feel less than me. Just differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I've never felt the urge to cry.
    You won't feel an urge to cry. It will just happen. When it does, just go with the flow.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Every time I see Kramer versus Kramer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

dd972 wrote: »
    Those two lumps which have grown below your belt,..they're the reason!

Inguinal hernia's are the reason?

Other than 2 funerals I haven't cried in about 16 years. When sober.

I find i dont show any emotion towards really serious or bad things and then could cry at ****ing stupid things

I'm the very same. I can handle massive stuff without getting emotional, but I can also cry at the drop of a hat at
    smaller stuff. There's probably some logic to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Rub some Vicks under your eyes op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Take out a Visa card and go wild with it for the first few weeks. After a bit, they'll send you a bill. That ought to do the trick. I know it often does for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do you eat onions whole??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

I am hopeless, only need to see someone else shed a few tears to set me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Yes, I'm afraid this is the first phase of becoming a serial killer. Lack of empathy. Next will be a phase of chronic masturbation and dressing up in women's clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I would be more worried if you never Laugh or Smile even to yourself!!!!
    zetalambda wrote: »
    Next will be a phase of chronic masturbation and dressing up in women's clothes.

Define Chronic for me!!!! Now I am worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Boo hoo poor you

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

Maybe you are dehydrated??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I cry on the inside like a winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My councillor says to me all the time that when something so horrific happens to you, that in order to protect you, your body shuts off from feeling the full extent of it at the time. I think it's like fight or flight mode.

Maybe one day it'll all just bubble up and you'll be upset over nothing, and everything. Or maybe you've the right attitude, and won't ever let something make you feel so terrible. Kind of like numb to life.

Your counsellor is bang on the money. :)

If our mind cannot cope with traumatic incidents, it can shut off emotions somewhat, and can even make you completely forget things (one year of my life, I have basically zero memories!). It's a defence mechanism, until you're ready to deal with and cope with the issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    Yep you're a freak just like me :pac:

I was going to say that..great minds and all that!!

You snooze you lose!!

Advertisement