Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flue size for stockton 7 insert - 5 or 6 inch ?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

We've decided to go with a Stovax Stockton 7 insert non boiler stove.

The salesman stated that he would be supplying Scheidel Flexi liner 6".

During a call with their recommended installer, I asked about the 6 inch flexi flue that we were quoted for. We're in a large 2 storey and I was asking if I should try and measure the height so he'll know what length to bring.

He advised that he has a large roll and will cut to size, and that he'll be using 5" not 6".

I asked why and he advised that it'd be difficult to get the 6" down the chimney at such a height. I'm now left wondering if he's cutting back on overall quality in order for an easier install ?

He also mentioned that it's a 5" flue coming out of the stove, so it would save him using an adapter?

I've read that if you want to burn timber then regulations require 6" flue.

I would appreciate any feedback/advise, is it ok to install the 5" or should I insist on him using the 6"?
    It would mean me possibly having to hire a height-4-hire machine, but that's something that I'd be prepared to do if it was the right thing to do ?

Thanks,
    GiJoo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

building requirements have changes to all 6" from September...as far as i know so he should convert from 5 up to 6 as soon as possible
    my advice is get a heatas or equivalent trained installer...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gijoo

Thanks Rpmcs.

Can I ask a stupid question? iyo, is asking him if he is heatas trained enough, or is it common practice to request proof or a copy of said training/certification. Would a request like that get an installers back up?

Thanks,
    Gijoo.

if you check oriel flues website it has list of installers trained in ireland..if he train in ireland would be up on it...but i doubt it as most good installers would be aware of new regs.

Thanks again - I found him on the list. He has "Awareness" only. empty H002, H003, H004, & H006.
    Would I be correct in saying H003 would be the relevant one?

Can I ask one final question regarding the flue liner. 306L vs 904L, there appears to be a big difference in warranty between the 2 for smokeless coal(this is what we mainly use), 2yrs vs 10yrs on oriels site.

do you know offhand if there is a huge difference in price between these ?
    and would you recommend the 904L or is it much of a muchness ?

Appreciate your advise.
    Gijoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

gijoo wrote: »
    Thanks again - I found him on the list. He has "Awareness" only. empty H002, H003, H004, & H006.
    Would I be correct in saying H003 would be the relevant one?

Can I ask one final question regarding the flue liner. 306L vs 904L, there appears to be a big difference in warranty between the 2 for smokeless coal(this is what we mainly use), 2yrs vs 10yrs on oriels site.

do you know offhand if there is a huge difference in price between these ?
    and would you recommend the 904L or is it much of a muchness ?

Appreciate your advise.
    Gijoo

Flue size is 6in.Flexi flue cannot go directly into a stove there must be solid pipe into stove you get a long 5-6 adaptor and fit that to flexi and into stove.
    Regarding the changes to building regs there is nobody to info fitters of updates.
    Hetas means nothing in Ireland a fitter that completed the training cannot register with hetas as they don't have a scheme here maybe one day this will change.
    Regarding the awareness course I also hold this cert it was the first training to be done in Ireland and I was sold it on the basis that it was the H003 and only when I finished the course we were told it wasn't the H003.The only difference is a 2hr practical test. At the moment there isn't a course that let's people that hold the awareness cert complete the H003 without doing the whole training again at another cost of €600 and 3 days of time

• Advertisement

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Flue size is 6in........

Do you mean the flexi flue liner or the Flue size of the stove ?
    This link agrees with the installer when he said it's 5 inches.
    stovax.com/stove-fire/stockton-wood-multi-fuel-stoves/stockton-7-inset-convector/

He has said he's going to use 5 inch flexi liner, but going by the above feedback , it should be 6inch.

Can anyone offer advise on the 316L or the 904L flexiliner, when we will be burning smokeless & timber ?

Thanks,
    GiJoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

gijoo wrote: »
    Do you mean the flexi flue liner or the Flue size of the stove ?
    This link agrees with the installer when he said it's 5 inches.
    stovax.com/stove-fire/stockton-wood-multi-fuel-stoves/stockton-7-inset-convector/

He has said he's going to use 5 inch flexi liner, but going by the above feedback , it should be 6inch.

Can anyone offer advise on the 316L or the 904L flexiliner, when we will be burning smokeless & timber ?

Thanks,
    GiJoo.

The flexi liner must be 6in.
    It doesn't really matter which you go for naturally the 904 is a higher grade of stainless steel so in theory should last longer and it doesn't matter if your burning smokeless or timber the flexis are rated for heat and both are quite capable for both fuels

316 is really only for wood, nothing to do with temperature or quality. the reason for 904 is the soot of coal is a lot more corrosive than wood so 904 has higher resistance to this.
    all flue should be rated for 600 degrees and G rated, for solid fuel.. but some some are not, so be careful.
    i agree so far with Robbie.G so far as there is no body to check/ building control to enforce,
    But i am in heating industry and i educate myself..keep read up on changes etc
    teachers do refresher courses my partener is a social worker and she would attend courses to to refresh change in laws and practises,
    If we are going to supply a service we need to be able to keep up to date with changes and laws..the information is out there and i think it is wrong to expect some one to come to our door and give us information...we are the experts...if i want tooth filling i dont go to optician
    But in saying all that i do agree we need some body or building control to write off or do random checks on installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Does this include twin wall flue has to be 6" only flex flue mentioned here.

To my knowledge its all flue..including twin-wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement