Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Won't Start When Damp

Options
  • 16-10-2014 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

My car is a mitsubishi colt gl 1999 1.3.

My cars battery is grand, but this car will not for the life of it start after heavy rain. I had it serviced last january, new sparks etc... Does any-one know how much it would cost to have this problem fixed ?.

I know there is some kind of spray...someone said something about WD-40 but not 100% if that is the stuff. Just to mention that this car always starts no problem, but every single time we get heavy rain, it just won't start.

Thanks for any advice you can forward me on this annoying problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

As in the engine turns over on the starter motor but won't start or does nothing happen when you turn the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

My car is a mitsubishi colt gl 1999 1.3.

My cars battery is grand, but this car will not for the life of it start after heavy rain. I had it serviced last january, new sparks etc... Does any-one know how much it would cost to have this problem fixed ?.

I know there is some kind of spray...someone said something about WD-40 but not 100% if that is the stuff. Just to mention that this car always starts no problem, but every single time we get heavy rain, it just won't start.

Thanks for any advice you can forward me on this annoying problem.
    I presume that the engine turns over but does not fire.
    If so, then I would be inclined to start with the ht side of the ignition. Remove the distributor cap and check the interior for cracks. Check the rotor arm as well as your in there. Take a look at the plug leads for general condition. Might be worth changing them at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The engine turns over, but after a few times of starting it kicked in a bit as if it was just about to start but didn't start. After 8 times of trying it my battery started to go low, so my brother gave me a jump and it still turns over but sputters a bit as if it was just about to start, and again it just won't kick in.

Johnayo Remove the distributor cap and check the interior for cracks. Check the rotor arm as well as your in there. Take a look at the plug leads for general condition. Might be worth changing them at this stage.

I'll check them so, in the morning. Yes, I will for sure be changing the plug-leads, I'd say they have worn at this stage. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

It's silicon spray your thinking off. If you use it every few weeks on the distributor cap it will keep damp out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Might be worth checking and changing the plugs as well if you are doing the whole lot.

Well, the distributor cap looks good, but I did check the plugs and leads going from the spark plugs to the distributor, and there was two lead-plugs half way out, so I pushed them in tightly.

I reckon the shake of the engine over time from starting the car engine loosened these lead-plugs. I purchased 'Holts - Damp-start ignition sealer', I sprayed it on after I fully seated the distributor lead-plugs, so I'll see how she goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Well, the distributor cap looks good, but I did check the plugs and leads going from the spark plugs to the distributor, and there was two lead-plugs half way out, so I pushed them in tightly.

I reckon the shake of the engine over time from starting the car engine loosened these lead-plugs. I purchased 'Holts - Damp-start ignition sealer', I sprayed it on after I fully seated the distributor lead-plugs, so I'll see how she goes.

Just remember to use it every so often. The spray I had used to work for 3/4 weeks then the ignition would start actin the maggot again.

Thinking about it, I actually went as far as taking off the dizzy cap and cleaning the corrosion of the points with a sharp knife. Then I rubbed some silicon grease on the inside of the cap where it seals against the distributor and around the end of the plug leads. Then sprayed it every few weeks with the spray. Never had a problem after that.

Just an update.

I have used Damp-Start that was recommended to me for a few weeks now and it was a good test with all the very heavy rain we got recently, and the car starts first go every-time. It only cost €4.65, so i just wanted to update to let you know it works great, no trouble at all with the engine for weeks now.

Thanks.

Advertisement