Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girdle tree on public street?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Is this OK?

Have a tree outside my house, which has grown into what looks like a mushroom cloud. It is around 25 feet tall and the branches extend out over the garden wall. It's not a bother during the months when there are no leaves, but as soon as the leaves grow, the sap will destroy any car parked under the tree within 20 minutes. Left overnight and you're opening the door with gloves and the car is covered in thousands of little green insects, dead and alive. The paint on the wall needs refreshing every year, as it ages rapidly in the vicinity of the tree. The birds love this tree and so leave their fair share of acid shoite all over the place, especially when flying from the house roof to the tree. The yellow jacket wasps have taken a shine to the tree in the last couple of years too and it gets worse every year. The path outside the house is also starting to crack and lift from the size of the tree, but this won't be a problem for another year, or two.

I know it's not a first world problem, but it bugs the crap out of me. Am I allowed to girdle this tree (cut a ring of bark off it) to prevent it from growing further and preventing leaf growth? Nobody seems to know the answer. I would cut it down, but that would be drastic, even though the fire wood could come in handy :D

Anyone know the answer, in non-typical AH humour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Its a ****ing tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nature...blaugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Contact your Local Authority and explain the situation. It's their responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

No is the answer.

It's not your tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

conorh91 wrote: »
    Contact your Local Authority and explain the situation. It's their responsibility.

Do you have any idea what they might do? At best, I figured they might prune it, but that won't solve the problem and will only alleviate it for a little while.

• Advertisement

Its a ****ing tree.

I am pleased you got that from the post. I was wondering if i was being vaguely mysterious.

Valetta wrote: »
    No is the answer.

It's not your tree.

The grass outside is not mine either, but nobody has an issue with it being cut. I'm not proposing felling the tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

goz83 wrote: »
    The grass outside is not mine either, but nobody has an issue with it being cut. I'm not proposing felling the tree.

Will "girdling" it not kill it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It does, and dying / dead branches can fall as a result.. which might be a bit dangerous on a public road!

I very much doubt that it's okay to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Yes- it will.

You could approach the LA and ask them to remove it and replace it with a more suitable tree. As a matter of interest, are there other trees the same on your road (or different types for that matter?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Basically you are asking can you kill a tree on the street. No, you can't. Contact the council. If pruning won't solve the issue then they might, legally, remove it and replace it with something more suitable.

Do you have any idea what they might do? At best, I figured they might prune it, but that won't solve the problem and will only alleviate it for a little while.
    No idea I'm afraid. But killing the tree yourself could result in a prosecution for criminal damage.

You should seek the consent of the Local Authority at the very least. They might agree to your girding the tree yourself if you explain the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, I had a similar problem at a place I used to live. I just didn't park under the tree. Win-win.

No idea I'm afraid. But killing the tree yourself could result in a prosecution for criminal damage.

You should seek the consent of the Local Authority at the very least. They might agree to your girding the tree yourself if you explain the problem.

If the council agree that the tree is a problem they will remove it but will certainly not agree to the OP girding it, as this is a potentially dangerous thing to do. They won't even let the OP cut it down himself.

Thanks guys. Helpful replies. Though I won't hold my breath for a reply from the council.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Dont mind the treehugger's, grab a chainsaw.

Dont mind the treehugger's, grab a chainsaw.

:pac:

If the council agree that the tree is a problem they will remove it but will certainly not agree to the OP girding it, as this is a potentially dangerous thing to do.
    Is it truly dangerous?

I thought girdling was something you could do with a chisel and hammer, just like a horse might girdle a tree by chewing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Is nobody going to defend this tree?

If you cut it down then the little birdies will have no place to sit!

OP is worse than Hitler!

Is it truly dangerous?

I thought girdling was something you could do with a chisel and hammer, just like a horse might girdle a tree by chewing on it.

:rolleyes: The tree slowly dies. Limbs will fall - potentially hitting people or cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

catallus wrote: »
    Is nobody going to defend this tree?

If you cut it down then the little birdies will have no place to sHít!

OP is worse than Hitler!

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

This the idea?

I am pleased you got that from the post. I was wondering if i was being vaguely mysterious.

I wasn't sure you knew, you seem to mistake it for a major inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I only came here to find out what a Girdle Tree was.

kneemos wrote: »
    This the idea?

Thats the idea alright. Seen it done on a few youtube vids and it takes 12-18 months to have any real impact. I would suspect that the council might only do something if the tree became a real danger, but I will try them anyway and see what their policy is in such a situation.

I wasn't sure you knew, you seem to mistake it for a major inconvenience.

What type of inconvenience would you call it, if your car was covered in tree glue and thousands of insects, with at least a half a dozen large bird sh!ts each morning for most of the year? Oh and what kind of inconvenience might you cosider a nest of bees not 20 feet from your front door through half the year? When you can't let your children out to play in the front garden because of the bloody bees, would you consider that to be an acceptable inconvenience???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

What type of inconvenience would you call it, if your car was covered in tree glue and thousands of insects, with at least a half a dozen large bird sh!ts each morning for most of the year? Oh and what kind of inconvenience might you cosider a nest of bees not 20 feet from your front door through half the year? When you can't let your children out to play in the front garden because of the bloody bees, would you consider that to be an acceptable inconvenience???

Use a car cover,

they're just bees, if there's a hive, I'm sure that can be dealt with without out killing the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

When you can't let your children out to play in the front garden because of the bloody bees, would you consider that to be an acceptable inconvenience???

You can't let your kids out to play because of the bees drawn to one single tree?

Jaysus.. you wouldn't last a day in the country :p

Well, above all else, I would be shocked to discover that I had kids.

All of the rest either is currently happening to me, or has in the past. Never crossed my mind to kill the trees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Build a man cave

Advertisement