Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What lane is fastest during heavy traffic on the m50?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

During stop start/ slow driving on the m50 in rush hour. You would think it would be the fast lane but it seems to actually be the slowest. Any experienced drivers know which lane is generally faster? (On average). It always bothers me because I always seem to be in the slowest lane, haha.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

I just sit in the left lane the whole way and plod along, more times than not I wouldn't be far behind the lane changers trying to make ground, little benefit on my journey anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

The fourth lane works fine for me.

You should try it some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Fionn00 wrote: »
    During stop start/ slow driving on the m50 in rush hour. You would think it would be the fast lane but it seems to actually be the slowest. Any experienced drivers know which lane is generally faster? (On average). It always bothers me because I always seem to be in the slowest lane, haha.

Trolling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe3gTcDyiRvRvIaKlqPM43Rq-PlkfOOSnHhn1df78bRBDVdyxU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I tend to stay in the outer lane so that any merging traffic won't bother me
    /troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the hard shoulder works for me, just pretend I am about to break down, put the flashers on and wave apologetically to all those I pass

(I'm lying)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

i just use da hard shoulder with the left indicator on da whole time works great for me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

It's different between the different stages and at different times because the pattern of people coming on and off isn't the same.
    eg southbound in the evening around J7 is different to Northbound in the morning around J12.

If you're bothered try different lanes at different stages and see which works: use recognisable comparators in the other lanes like a JCB being transported on a truck or something.

It's not really worth your while to bother, I just did because I get bored in traffic, but after a few months of experimentation I found a system that works for my commute in the morning to shave 10 minutes tops but I find changing lanes in the evening isn't worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Leftmost lane, and up and over every exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

The one in between the stopped cars is the fastest.
    Get a motorbike ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

J12 to J15 Southbound 8.10am weekdays, inside lane, pass everything until Marley Park , then middle to avoid J13 queue, then outside past J14 to avoid the carnage as inside lane guys try to cut into the head of queue causing trucks etc to take avoiding action into the middle lane, then inside lane till J15 slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭positron

Plopli wrote: »
    The one in between the stopped cars is the fastest.
    Get a motorbike ...

Yep, lane two and a half. On a bike of course. But it does get horribly tiring when you filter on an on for 20-25 kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

trying to drive at / near the speed limit during heavy traffic is more stressful than it's worth on any motorway because there's always the risk of someone braking suddenly (failing to anticipate or log the speed of cars in front of them) or cars cutting in and out of lanes, and at that speed with traffic all around, you need to be extremely alert and ready to brake at any stage...

if you could measure brain activity during rush hour doing speed limit, it'd probably be 50% greater than at normal times where you have lots of room and vision all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

smemon wrote: »
    driving at the speed limit during heavy traffic is more stressful than it's worth...
    as all the other cars will be stopped....

The Aux lane from the M1 to N3 moves best SB in the mornings,
    While the lane 3 is good past Ballymount and Red Cow in the evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I use lane zero on my motorbike. The hard shoulder. Yes, I know it is illegal. Yes, I understand the risks involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I use lane zero on my motorbike. The hard shoulder. Yes, I know it is illegal. Yes, I understand the risks involved.

Yes, fair play to you.

Advertisement