Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing food through Dublin Airport T2

Options
  • 16-10-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Have looked online but can't seem to find the answer so does anyone here know if you can bring sandwiches through Dublin airport security, we're traveling to the US immigration ?

We're bringing a 5 year old who is an extremely fussy eater, I know we can bring sweets and crisps and no liquids but if we bring sandwiches from home will we be allowed take them through, The flight is too long for him to just have junk food.

If all else fails we could try find a sandwich he likes once we clear security.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭lc180

Yes there is no problem bringing sandwiches passed security, as long as it's not a liquid or one of the other restricted items then security couldn't give a damn what you bring through!

Just make sure to declare food if it's still in your bag when you get to the US otherwise you may get a fine. Not a good start to a trip.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Thanks a mill lc180, didnt want to bother making him a packed lunch if it was going to be taken off us. I knew snack stuff was fine but for some reason was thinking meat might not be allowed. I'll make sure to dump it or declare anything left on arrival. Thanks again x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You are right to think it might not be allowed- you can only bring certain kinds of meat believe it or not. I got caught out quite recently when I had a ham roll in my bag and when they asked me if I had food they told me pork products not allowed through even though I would've eaten it on the flight! A chicken sandwich however would be fine.

Be careful about not telling them you have it as there are usually sniffer dogs looking for food on passengers :)

At the bottom of this page is a list of what is not permitted....

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/944/~/bringing-meat,-poultry-or-pork%2Fswine-products-into-the-u.s.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, your issue will not be with Dublin airport security, it will be with the US agents you meet at pre-clearance. Even if you intend that the sandwiches will be eaten on the flight, the test they will apply will be based on you taking the food all the way to the US and off the plane. As well as immigration, they are also there to enforce US Dept of Agriculture regulations to prevent the importation of food products containing pests and/or disease.

The information from the poster above is correct but I'd doubt if they would allow a chicken sandwich. The regulations in the link provided above talk about 'packaging' in the sense that factory produced food products with clear labelling will in many cases be ok but the trouble with home-produced food is that they really can't tell what it's in it. It could, for example, contain home-made mayonnaise made with raw eggs which would be prohibited. So my guess is that they won't allow you to take a home-made sandwich onboard.

Fresh (chilled or frozen), dried, cured, and fully cooked meat is generally prohibited from most countries.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82

So you reckon we couldnt take a ham sandwich even if we put any leftovers into the bin on the plane and don't take it off with us ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Karen23 wrote: »
    So you reckon we couldnt take a ham sandwich even if we put any leftovers into the bin on the plane and don't take it off with us ?

The pre-clearance set up means DUB is your port of entry, so you're technically on US soil even before boarding the flight. The only thing you can do is declare it to US CBP & let the officer make a determination.

Bread & cheese are generally admissible & there are also options to buy a sandwich once you get to your gate.
    The following are generally admissible:

-Condiments such as ketchup (catsup), mustard, mayonnaise, Marmite and Vegemite and prepared sauces that do not contain meat products

-Olive oil and other vegetable oils

-Bread, cookies, crackers, cakes, granola bars, cereal and other baked and processed products

-Candy and chocolate

-Cheese- Solid cheese (hard or semi-soft, that does not contain meat); butter, butter oil, and cultured milk products such as yogurt and sour cream are not restricted. Feta cheese, Brie, Camembert, cheese in brine, Mozzarella and Buffalo Mozzarella are permissible (USDA Animal Product Manual, Table 3-14-6). Cheese in liquid (such as cottage cheese or ricotta cheese) and cheese that pours like heavy cream are not admissible from countries affected by foot-and-mouth disease (FMD). Cheese containing meat is not admissible depending on the country of origin.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

They have US customs clearance before border control now, previously the other way around. I had bottled water, as had other passengers and it was fine. I saw someone having to throw away sandwiches they had made (not sure what was in them)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The pre-clearance set up means DUB is your port of entry, so you're technically on US soil even before boarding the flight. The only thing you can do is declare it to US CBP & let the officer make a determination.

Bread & cheese are generally admissible & there are also options to buy a sandwich once you get to your gate.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

I was recently told I couldn't bring an apple through US pre-clearance. They had a bin where all food products were to be dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Karen23 wrote: »

They won't accept any such assurances. They assume that anything that you bring on the plane you will take off the plane when you land in the US. This is the price you pay for the convenience of getting all this mullarkey done before you fly.

An 80 year old aunt of mine brought an orange to consume on the flight, she had to dispose of it in a 'special bin', wasn't allowed to take it onboard.

Thanks all, don't think I'll chance it. We'll try and find something he likes once we clear immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

You could make cheese sandwiches (or just plain bread and butter sandwiches) and bring an unopened packet of processed ham?

Sealed with proof of source should be ok to take into the U.S. (Not 100% sure but based off the fact it's fine here in Australia where border security is among the toughest in the world).

Then make up the sandwich on the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

ya can bring sandwiches through american customs, once you declare them and they do not contain certain meats... I have brought them on numerious occassions and declared them and they were always allowed....Remember when you clear customs you are actually on american soil, so eat a breckie before you go through cos there is only a small coffee shop there and have very little in the way on food....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

coylemj wrote: »
    An 80 year old aunt of mine brought an orange to consume on the flight, she had to dispose of it in a 'special bin', wasn't allowed to take it onboard.
    DoctorBoo wrote: »
    I was recently told I couldn't bring an apple through US pre-clearance. They had a bin where all food products were to be dumped.

Raw fruits and vegetables are a big no no, as they may contain pests/insects/diseases that could be harmful if introduced into the American food chain.

While it may seem an over reaction to make someone throw away a harmless looking apple or orange, that was bought in a bog standard Irish supermarket, that item was probably imported to Ireland from else where. It could have God know what tropical or home grown beastie residing inside it. Either way, the US food authorities don't believe in taking the risk, so into the bin it must go, before you board the plane.

There was a story in the news recently, of a woman who found the eggs of poisionous spiders in her bananas from Tesco. Don't click on this link, if you are at all squeamish. :(

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/mother-finds-deadly-spider-eggs-in-tesco-bananas-30577442.html

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Hi there!

Flying to orlando next week from dublin, which is an approx 9 hour flight. I was just wondering what the situation is with bringing sandwiches etc through US pre clearance? Ive heard that they've gotten particularly strict recently. However, because the flight is so long and because of my dislike of airplane food, i wanted to bring a sandwich, chocolate etc to eat on the plane. Would it be ok to do that if you got the sandwich in o briens or somewhere in the airport, or if you brought chocolate from home or something?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give...trying to avoid a hungry 9 hours!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

yeap ya can bring them once they dont contain meat, and you declare them at customs....

Hi there!

Flying to orlando next week from dublin, which is an approx 9 hour flight. I was just wondering what the situation is with bringing sandwiches etc through US pre clearance? Ive heard that they've gotten particularly strict recently. However, because the flight is so long and because of my dislike of airplane food, i wanted to bring a sandwich, chocolate etc to eat on the plane. Would it be ok to do that if you got the sandwich in o briens or somewhere in the airport, or if you brought chocolate from home or something?

Thanks for any help you may be able to give...trying to avoid a hungry 9 hours!!

Our flight was to Orlando too, If you buy a sandwich after you clear immigration and secuirity you can bring it on the plane. Just bear in mind there's not much choice in that particular terminal, just a small cafe selling pre packed sandwiches and the choice wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

Yamanoto wrote: »

Sounds like a cheese sandwich is the way to go. Red cheddar and Branston pickle is always a winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MeganOMahony

Hi I am travelling to New York on Monday, I am just wondering am I allowed to prep and bring food in my hand luggage for the plane? Plane food is horrible!! I am travelling with Delta from Dublin
    Any information would be great,
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

not sure on your own prepped food although I can't see why not so long as your bringing stuff allowed into america.A couple of years ago i had to throw away a chicken and bacon sambo but my wife was allowed a chicken sambo, I asked the guy and he said no bacon products so you may need to be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can't bring meat products, or fruit & veg onto the plane. Once you pre clear Customs & Immigration at Dublin Airport, you are technically on US soil and all of the US Dept of Agriculture food importation regulations go into effect there, not when you actually land in the US.

Advertisement