Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New over 18s films

Options
  • 16-10-2014 8:20am

Was just having a chat with a lad in work and he was saying he went to see Annabelle last night.
    I said I wouldn't bother with a horror unless is was 18s:D

So we were trying to think of the last over 18s movie either of us had seen in the cinema.
    I can't think of any.
    Do they even make them anymore or is nothing too shocking to be rated 18s these days?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, they're still around, it's just that the relatively new (in the scheme of things) 16s rating has soaked up a lot of the 'mild' 18s.

Map to the Stars is currently 18s (with good cause), and The Unnecessary Death of Charlie Countryman has been awarded the rating too. Plenty on DVD too - I watched the newly released Takashi Miike film Lesson of Evil last week which is pretty hard 18s.

Also worth noting most 'club' releases are technically 18s and over too, regardless of their content.

Ah yes the 16s.
    They dont make them like the used too!
    Was disappointed that the robocop remake was so tame !

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MiguelSMinnich

disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Gone Girl is 18 in the UK and I reckon it will be on DVD here too.

Thankfully it doesn't seem to be box office poison like the NC-17 in America with films like the aforementioned and Wolf of Wall Street being among the highest grossing films of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

urbanledge wrote: »
    Was just having a chat with a lad in work and he was saying he went to see Annabelle last night.
    I said I wouldn't bother with a horror unless is was 18s:D

So we were trying to think of the last over 18s movie either of us had seen in the cinema.
    I can't think of any.
    Do they even make them anymore or is nothing too shocking to be rated 18s these days?

Try Martyrs. French extreme. 18 (on DVD anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

There have been a few high-profile 18 certificate films this year:

Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For, Gone Girl, Maps to the Stars, The Raid 2, Starred Up

Plus, most talked-about TV shows these days are released as 18 certificate on DVD (though they are rated by episode and not by overall series, usually)

True Blood, House of Cards, American Horror Story, Penny Dreadful, Vikings, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, From Dusk Till Dawn, Hannibal, Hemlock Grove, Californication, Breaking Bad, Love/Hate (the new series was rated 18 by the BBFC).

Advertisement