Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Risks associated with buying a car that was imported from the UK

• 15-10-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Looking into buying a car but from a brief visit (got basic info without going all in and paying) I learnt that the can was imported from the UK. It currently has an Irish reg. My question is what are the issues with buying an imported car. As far as I understand motorcheck.ie will include a UK background check and so I should be covered in that regard. Are there any other issues I should be aware of before buying a previously imported car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Not really. Once you check the UK history, you should be ok. There have been horror stories of cars imported to Ireland that were written off in the UK and the import was used to hide their history. Not necessarily dangerous, but misrepresented when sold.

Obviously the usual checks regarding buying a second hand car stand. It's always good to get a mechanic to check it over or at least someone who's knowledgeable and knows what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Be aware. The speedo will be in miles :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Hatchet Harry

Under body rust could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

goz83 wrote: »
    Be aware. The speedo will be in miles :eek:

Just like most pre 2005 Irish cars.

Advertisement