Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on tissot prc 200 automatic

Options
  • 15-10-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, looking for opinions on a tissot prc 200, automatic (can't post link apparently,apologies!) They have it on creation for 600 quid compared to 815 in arnotts. Is it a good watch? Looks pretty high end to me anyway. I'm in the market for a good watch but not sure I have the stomach to go big like a tag or omega just yet, but this seems like a reasonable compromise.but I know nothing about watches so am open to opinions!picked up a seiko auto off creation a while ago so am happy to go with them unless people have reservations about spending that kind of money with them.....thanks guys...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tissot are a solid brand; that price would be towards the upper end of their range as far as I know. I was going to suggest looking on eBay for cheaper prices, but the PRC200 is a very commonly faked watch (even the cheaper quartz version), so you could get stung.

At that price, I think Hamilton would be worth a look. They are owned by the Swatch Group, who own Tissot, Longines and Omega and other brands. I've owned a couple of Hamiltons and they're generally very nice. There's not much brand recognition for them though, if that's a factor. There's tons on Amazon.co.uk if you want to have a look.

In fact, at 600, I think there will be lots of options to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Can I also suggest the Stowa Ikarus, just comes in under budget
    https://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetail,141345244530424,en,1413452496-30813,flieger,ikarus,6,Tshowrub--flieger,.htm

I have one and its a seriously great watch

Their Marine Auto is also in budget but I wouldn't consider one unless it had the SS dial
    https://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetail,141345244530424,en,1413452594-31322,marine,marineautdatum,1,Tshowrub--marine,.htm

Also, you will find a lot of options from Steinhart for your budget aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

There has been a couple of murmurings on TZ-UK of some Creation consignments being held by customs - something to bear in mind because if it does happen to you it will close the gap between them and Arnotts quite considerably. One is still apparently sitting in Heathrow and the other was in Germany but as there's no way of predicting where their shipments land in the EU it's difficult to work out if it will happen to a shipment bound to Ireland.

Hamiltons are quite widely discounted (particularly if you find yourself Stateside) and they're worth a look; particularly if you can find an EU retailer with stock. Max Bill by Junghans would be my other suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Selection of Hamiltons in the airport shops in Dublin if you ever find your way going thro that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Thanks for the replies to date...I have to admit, I'm a bit brand conscious so though I like the look of a lot of the non high street watch makers, which I've no doubt are high quality, like stowa, I'm not sure they are what I'm looking for. Bit narrow minded I know but waddia gonna do ay! In saying that, I do like the hamiltons and also their heritage. There was a nice jazz master chrono automatic on creation a while back that is similar to the tissot that I thought was really nice. Arnotts have a good selection but they never seem to be discounted.

Re creation and customs, like I said, I got a watch from them and they put down a min value so only got stung 12 quid or so for customs which is grand. Paid the courier there and then. I had read that they put down a min value on the packaging regardless of how expensive the watch is in case it is checked. I guess it would be risky to assume that it would work out like that again with a 600 euro watch. I might look into other sites. Any suggestions?

Do people think the tissot is "worth" that kind of money or would people think I'd be better off putting it towards something more premium a bit down the line? Is it like getting a high spec Kia?i.e. when you strip back the leather seats and air con, it's still just a Kia! No offence Kia drivers but you know what I mean! Should I save up for the Beemer instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭893bet

There are plenty of tissot on adverts.ie. but second hand and if u decide it's not for you then resell for same money.

Recently got a secondhand tissot visodate and they are of reasonable quality.

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Do people think the tissot is "worth" that kind of money or would people think I'd be better off putting it towards something more premium a bit down the line? Is it like getting a high spec Kia?i.e. when you strip back the leather seats and air con, it's still just a Kia! No offence Kia drivers but you know what I mean! Should I save up for the Beemer instead?

Without seeing the watch in question, it's very hard to tell what you're getting for the money.

But there's nothing wrong at all with buying a high end product from a brand that also makes affordable versions (e.g. Grand Seiko). To use your analogy, I wouldn't buy a BMW 316i with wind-up windows and steel wheels just to get that badge on the bonnet.

If you are brand conscious (nothing wrong with that!), then look second hand as well.

There is one on adverts. It's quartz though so bot quite what you want. Seller will take 150. Maybe less.

http://touch.adverts.ie/sports/tissot-gents-quarts-watch-prc200/6468244

Automatic ones come up regularly so might be worth keeping eye out.

Thanks 839bet....interesting....general question for the table....why would someone go quartz instead of automatic and vice versa? I like the weight and smooth travel of the second hand of of my seiko auto but I like the idea of picking up the prc 200 for around 150 assuming good condition even if quartz. I suppose my question is, is the extra worth it for the auto version for a day to day watch while I hold out for something more special or is the quartz every bit as nice to own or wear? I'm hoping to get advice more than "it's whatever you prefer"! Should I hang around for a 2nd hand auto instead or jump at the quartz at that kind of price? Thanks all....

I had that model, but with the blue face and it is a very nice watch. I have a mix of quartz and automatic watches - there's just something nice about auto watches, but I like being able to grab a quartz without having to set it.

I think that's a great watch for 150 quid, and if you're not 100% sure what you want to get, then it could be a good option to tide you over until you find what you're looking for.

• Advertisement

Thanks eoin....good to get the opinion of someone who has owned it at some stage...one of the reasons I'm interested in picking up something is that the glass cracked on my decent citizen chrono (little man dropped it!) which I've had a few years so would like something similar to rotato with my seiko auto and which won't break the bank.....hmmmm, it is tempting.....how much would the auto be on adverts would anyone know?

http://touch.adverts.ie/mens-watches/tissot-mens-chronograph-prc200-automatic/2710372

It's withdrawn now obviously but they were asking for 350. Looks about right.

Have you made use of the local jewelry store and tried on your options?

It's withdrawn now obviously but they were asking for 350. Looks about right.

Have you made use of the local jewelry store and tried on your options?[/QUOTE]

Hmm 350 would be nice alright to pick up the auto version but do they come up often enough, and is the auto worth letting a good deal on the quartz go by to hold out for an auto which MIGHT come up?

Yeah that would be the plan alright to physically try it on before I commit. It does look like a nice watch and I like the idea of Swiss made...

The risk second hand is very low for either.

You dont like it sell it again for same price, maybe even a small increase if you are lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Based on what your saying - Budget under 600 euro , not bothered about movement type and want a brand that is recognised as a good one by none watch enthusiasts , i would recommend this Raymond weil

I just got one this month , it cost me 430 euro including import charges from the states but they have now gone up by 80 euro on the site i bought from.They are for sale on some english sites for about 900 euro so its still half price .Its a really nice watch ,brand new with all original packaging etc and from a well know site .

Eoin wrote: »
    I had that model, but with the blue face and it is a very nice watch. I have a mix of quartz and automatic watches - there's just something nice about auto watches, but I like being able to grab a quartz without having to set it.

I think that's a great watch for 150 quid, and if you're not 100% sure what you want to get, then it could be a good option to tide you over until you find what you're looking for.

Hi Eoin or anyone else who might have an opinion.....i did a deal to get that watch for 150 and met the guy to do the drop off. In the meantime i'd read that there are plenty of fakes knocking around apparently which has me nervous. I met him anyway, seemed like a nice fella. Seemed in good nick to be fair. Tried it on but too tight and he didnt have the links so have arranged to meet agian. The only thing i noted was that the watch seemed a bit light! I was wearing a seiko diver auto which is heavy enough so maybe thats skewing my judgement but the bracelet didnt feel like a bracelet from a 350 yo yo new watch. Compared to the citizen chrono diver 200 perpetual its intended to replace because of a broken glass face, it felt a bit "cheap", which was a surprise. The watch itself is lovely but does this sound right, the lightness? If it is the case that it is a light enough watch then thats ok, i can decide whether thats for me or not safe in the knowledge its not a fake. But if what i'm describing sound way off the mark for anyone who's owned one (1 year old he claims) then i'd be a bit worried it could be fake....i reckon i'll put him off till tomorrow and wait to see do the good people of boards have any insight on this! I know its "only" 150 quid but i'd hate to think i spent that on a fake when i could have just got the nice citizen glass replaced for a lot less I'm guessing. I did try in Rocks but they don't have it and the similar one i tried on to be fair felt very solid and weighty (slightly more expensive at 450), which adds to the concerns. cheers in advance folks...

Can you get him to meet you in an AD in the city? Easiest way to put your mind at rest.

893bet wrote: »
    Can you get him to meet you in an AD in the city? Easiest way to put your mind at rest.

Ive put him off for a couple of days which gives me the chance to maybe track down the watch and try it on in another dealer. I think the latest model is bigger but maybe they have it somewhere...kinda hard to know what to do...just a bit surprised by the lack of weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Hi lads, looking for opinions on a tissot prc 200, automatic (can't post link apparently,apologies!) They have it on creation for 600 quid compared to 815 in arnotts. Is it a good watch? Looks pretty high end to me anyway. I'm in the market for a good watch but not sure I have the stomach to go big like a tag or omega just yet, but this seems like a reasonable compromise.but I know nothing about watches so am open to opinions!picked up a seiko auto off creation a while ago so am happy to go with them unless people have reservations about spending that kind of money with them.....thanks guys...

Just out of curiosity, is it the chronograph you're looking for?

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity, is it the chronograph you're looking for?

Yes....I decided to burn the guy selling on adverts which I felt bad about. Just felt a bit light. I checked out the weights online and claims to be about 140g. I weighed the watch I was wearing which I consider a good weight and it's about the same but when I tried his on it felt a lot lighter. Maybe I imagined it but was enough to put doubt in my head. Tried on a leather strapped version today in Paul shearans and it did feel light alright which kind of confused the issue. Thought it was just best to leave this one and keep a look out maybe.....would be interested in an auto version....I think they're slightly bigger according to your man in PS....

Yes....I decided to burn the guy selling on adverts which I felt bad about. Just felt a bit light. I checked out the weights online and claims to be about 140g. I weighed the watch I was wearing which I consider a good weight and it's about the same but when I tried his on it felt a lot lighter. Maybe I imagined it but was enough to put doubt in my head. Tried on a leather strapped version today in Paul shearans and it did feel light alright which kind of confused the issue. Thought it was just best to leave this one and keep a look out maybe.....would be interested in an auto version....I think they're slightly bigger according to your man in PS....

Ok. I've the automatic chronograph for the past year, and like it. Got it with the bracelet. Just weighed it there, and with 3 links removed it weighs 179 grams.

Mine is the black dial, with white subdials. The only downside to them is with the texturing of the sub dials, and polished hands, they are slightly difficult to read at arms length.

Accuracy is quite good. Gains about a minute over the course of a month, so almost in chronometre territory without the certification.

Always attracts attention from colleagues, which is a bit of a downside. And with it being so highly polished, it is a bit of a magnet for scratches.

I bought mine in Vegas, and with haggling and exchange rates, I got it for a steal. At the time, it was going for €660 in Rocks/ Shearans. I got it for just under €400.

Ok. I've the automatic chronograph for the past year, and like it. Got it with the bracelet. Just weighed it there, and with 3 links removed it weighs 179 grams.

Mine is the black dial, with white subdials. The only downside to them is with the texturing of the sub dials, and polished hands, they are slightly difficult to read at arms length.

Accuracy is quite good. Gains about a minute over the course of a month, so almost in chronometre territory without the certification.

Always attracts attention from colleagues, which is a bit of a downside. And with it being so highly polished, it is a bit of a magnet for scratches.

I bought mine in Vegas, and with haggling and exchange rates, I got it for a steal. At the time, it was going for €660 in Rocks/ Shearans. I got it for just under €400.

Sounds like you got a nice watch at a nice price! I like the chunkiness and weight of an automatic and what youre describing in terms of weight is cliser to what i was hoping for with the one i nearly bought...whats the bracelet like on yours? I thought it seemed a bit light. might keep an eye out on adverts in case one comes up......

Sounds like you got a nice watch at a nice price! I like the chunkiness and weight of an automatic and what youre describing in terms of weight is cliser to what i was hoping for with the one i nearly bought...whats the bracelet like on yours? I thought it seemed a bit light. might keep an eye out on adverts in case one comes up......

Thanks, I do like it. Bought a Tissot deployment clasp on fleabay, just need to get a 22mm strap to suit so I'll have the option to swap between bracelet and strap.

The links on it are solid, so they certainly add a bit of substance. I'll post a picon a few minutes. The "bars" on each link alternate between polished and satin finished.

I'm no expert, but the distribution of the weight could affect how heavy or solid it feels. But if you're in doubt, it's best to move on. The fakes are very convincing - right down to the box and books in it. It's a few years since I owned mine, so I couldn't tell you if it felt light or not, or if the bracelet was of particularly good quality or not.

Apologies for the hairy arms!

Eoin wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but the distribution of the weight could affect how heavy or solid it feels. But if you're in doubt, it's best to move on. The fakes are very convincing - right down to the box and books in it. It's a few years since I owned mine, so I couldn't tell you if it felt light or not, or if the bracelet was of particularly good quality or not.

Yeah maybe you're right about the weight distribution theory.there was just something that didn't feel right about it.the bracelet was more similar to a couple of cheapos I have rather than a quality watch like I assumed.also there was a couple of other things that caused me to have doubts which I wont go into.shame though,its a lovely looking watch.

One of the bracelet.

Apologies for the hairy arms!

Arrrrgggg! Unsee unsee! Thanks for the heads up! Lovely watch though...well may you wear...with all the states has to offer,I look forward to going back so that I can pick up a nice watch!sad or what!

• Advertisement

Arrrrgggg! Unsee unsee! Thanks for the heads up! Lovely watch though...well may you wear...with all the states has to offer,I look forward to going back so that I can pick up a nice watch!sad or what!

There is another option. Tissot have another watch, very similar style called the Couturier (think that's the spelling) main differences are there's not a full glass case back, only a window over the balance wheel. And all the subsidiary hands are the same size. They use the same.movement in it, and it would have a similar weight to it. I think it's only offered with a strap, but I might be wrong on that. It's also slightly cheaper.

And myself and herself are saving for Vegas in two years, so hopefully more purchases to be made. Theres a fantastic watch store in Cassava Palace, with a phenomenal selection of used watches, in all price brackets.

Advertisement