Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR: Ins and Outs?

Options
  • 15-10-2014 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

I'm reading the requirements, and all of them require you to get the first one. Is this money requirement under the WHOLE household, or a parent (s)? Is there no exceptions for families with single parents as well? I'm sure they'd be struggling as well.

Just curious, the HEAR scheme seems really handy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pigsinablanket

I got into college through HEAR so this is coming through my knowledge and being an Access center leader in UCD.
    Its household income so you have to fall beneath the number they have put forth.

On the exception of a family with 1 parent doesn't really apply as its all to do with how little income your parent(s) and/or yourself received in the year they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

I got into college through HEAR so this is coming through my knowledge and being an Access center leader in UCD.
    Its household income so you have to fall beneath the number they have put forth.

On the exception of a family with 1 parent doesn't really apply as its all to do with how little income your parent(s) and/or yourself received in the year they need.

Other things such as if you're in a DEIS school, where your house is situated, and whether you have a medical/GP card or a social welfare income from your parents/guardians is looked at.

All in more detail here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm alright with the other requirements, just think I'd be knocked down from applying because of my sister and mum having jobs, which would certainly total more than 50k+ combined.

Guess I'll just have to work harder for the points :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No harm apply anyway and see what happens.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm alright with the other requirements, just think I'd be knocked down from applying because of my sister and mum having jobs, which would certainly total more than 50k+ combined.
    I would question to what extent your sister, unlike a parent, can be seen as being responsible for funding your education, whether she lives at home or not.

However, in saying that, I would stress that I am not in the slightest bit familiar with how they calculate household income etc. for HEAR.

Try to go along to one of the HEAR advisory sessions around the country if you can, or look into it in more detail anyway in whatever way works best for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement