Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Dublin shops selling classical CDs?

Options
  • 15-10-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a variety of classical music CDs as a present for someone. I have to have them tomorrow, so I can't order online.

So is there a shop in Dublin that sells them? A very old thread says Tower Records, but towerrecords.ie says they're at 7 Dawson Street which seems to be a Waterstone's according to Google Street View.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭rhapsody

Tower is on Dawson St, Googlemaps is out of date. There's also a Tower Records on the top floor of Easons on O'Connell St. I think it's your best bet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Most cd shops have a selection, but Tower on Dawson st has a nice big section. It's new enough, where Waterstones used to be, across from Hodges Figgis. You might try HMV on Grafton st while you're in the area, though I haven't been in since they moved buildings so can't attest to their range.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

HMV, Grafton St are good and are cheaper than Tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I went to Tower in Dawson St in the end. They had a very good selection and excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Yeah, ive started to buy a lot of classical music and John in Tower is very helpful and knowledgeable (and the selection is so much better than HMV).

Anywhere else in town? Neither Spindizzy nor Freebird do much in the way of Classical and the charity shops in town usually have a couple of greatest hits type cds.

Should i stick to Tower?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Tower is absolutely your best bet. By far the largest classical collection in Dublin that I know of.

Looks like it alright Custardpi. I see that Presto is a pretty good site and there is always Amazon.

Not sure if there is a charity shop in town with a lot of cds, most seem to have 40-50 with only 5-6 classical.

Dublin charity shops are stuffed with cheap classical CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

NCH also has a shop selling classical music.

The Contemporary Music Centre off Dame St gives away some free Classical CDs. Their website does anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, ill take a look at the NCH shop and the The Contemporary Music Centre.

Charity shops in my experience tend to have mostly compilations or a very limited stock unfortunately unless you know of a specific place.

Advertisement