Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill Running in Connacht

Options
  • 15-10-2014 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

There has been a fair bit of discussion on the Hill running in Connacht group on facebook about bringing IMRA races to the West. As part of this organisation there are planned training / scouting runs open to all taking place on Wednesday evenings -
    This weeks trail/hill run will be out in New Village Woods near Oughterard, hope to see ye there!!

There are 3 routes that will be ran in rotation on a weekly basis and all of them are suitable and challenging for all fitness/experience levels. This will be a great way to vary up your training and a good introduction to hill/trail running if it is something new to you. Details of the run and directions are below, don´t hesitate to contact me with any questions and be sure to spread the word to anyone you may know who would like to give it a go.

You will need a headtorch. Trail shoes are not necessarily required but I would go with something with a bit of grip.

I will be leaving from the Claddagh area at around 5.40pm so if anyone would like a lift from there just let me know. If driving yourself we can aim to meet at St James Church by Bushypark at 6.00pm and car pool/convoy from there, directions to the church are at this link; https://goo.gl/maps/48D3o. Keep an eye out for a gold VW passat estate if you want to meet there.

If you want to drive all the way drive all the way to Oughterard on the N59, take the right turn after the bridge just as you come to the far side of Oughterard (as if coming from Galway). This road bends left and you go straight through the roundabout just leaving the village, continue on this road for approx 2km and on your left will be a forest entrance with a sign for New Village Wood. The directions from Galway can be found on the following link, http://goo.gl/CiXlrg . We will aim for around 6.30pm to start the run for.

The run itself is on forest fireroad which is overall a pretty even surface but there are the unavoidable potholes and bumps so care will need to be taken! The run is just over 10.5km with about 186m of elevation gain. This route can be shortened to whatever you feel up for, as is the pace!

hope to see ye on the trails,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Will this be on an ongoing basis? If so I'd like to give it a go sometime after DCM. Not sure how I'll cope to start with, but sure will have a go. Keep us posted please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

This great, I would love to be involve in this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

The times have now changed to start running at 7.30pm which means:

Leave Claddagh @ 6.40pm
    Leave St. James' Church, Bushypark @ 7pm

I did this for a few runs last year and see good potential in it, the route choice caters for all levels of fitness. Headtorch necessary!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Are there any similar routes to run in the south Galway or around the Loughrea area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Are there any similar routes to run in the south Galway or around the Loughrea area?

There was talk of Derrybrien Wind Farm at one stage for a race but I'm not sure about land ownership etc.

• Advertisement

Anybody free on Saturday evening ?

Would love to do so off road running.... some great spot in Loughrea, can't remember were I went with some lads, any other places we could rotate ?

Seb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Just adding the Link to the Connaught Mountain/Hill Running Page.

Cool ! looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

locteau wrote: »
    Anybody free on Saturday evening ?

Would love to do so off road running.... some great spot in Loughrea, can't remember were I went with some lads, any other places we could rotate ?

Seb

Most of the decent hill running is in the Coillte woods up near the windfarm. I've been planning to get up there for the last few weeks to check out a few routes.

I have a bad calf injury at the moment but would be in if you guys ok with it (no worries you won't need to wait for me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Trail running 5th November:
    This weeks trail/hill run will be out in New Village Woods near Oughterard, hope to see ye there!!

There are 3 routes that will be ran in rotation on a weekly basis and all of them are suitable and challenging for all fitness/experience levels. This will be a great way to vary up your training and a good introduction to hill/trail running if it is something new to you. Details of the run and directions are below, don´t hesitate to contact me with any questions and be sure to spread the word to anyone you may know who would like to give it a go.

You will need a headtorch. Trail shoes are not necessarily required but I would go with something with a bit of grip.

I will be leaving from the Claddagh area at around 6.40pm so if anyone would like a lift from there just let me know. If driving yourself we can aim to meet at St James Church by Bushypark at 7.00pm and car pool/convoy from there, directions to the church are at this link; https://goo.gl/maps/48D3o

Wont be making it, but enjoy guys, maybe next time.

Advertisement