Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] London Triathlon 2015

Options
  • 15-10-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Preregistered entries open for this today. Anyone done it?

Any advice, is it fun/worth it/too busy/rubbish? Does it sell out immediately or have I a couple of weeks to think about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A triathlon in a city? What about road closures? It will never happen etc.. etc..

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I did it this year. I'd get in relatively soon if you really want to do it - the Olympic distance is quite popular.

Swim is in Royal Victoria Dock - not the greatest water quality you'll ever see, and I had my goggles pretty much pulled off twice within around 100m of the start and got hit more times than I could be bothered counting. Transitions are very long because you have to run right into the ExCeL into a transition area the size of a warehouse and they make you take off your wetsuit and bag it before you go in. Bike is grand, not completely flat but no major hills either. 2 lap course unless you do the Olympic Plus. Seemed a bit short when I did it - seems quite a few people clocked somewhere in the region of 37km for it. Run is 3 laps on a loop down in the direction of London City Airport. Can be relatively narrow and twisty at times, but well supported (water available twice on each lap, free gels and a mist shower on the course), easy for family/supporters to catch up with you along the course and generally quite a few people around you all the time. Erdinger Alkoholfrei straight after the finish line, tasted like manna from heaven tbh :pac:

Expect it to be either 25+ or pissing rain on race day too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Cheers, Seems to be a bit of craic and as my contributions to the Dublin IM thread will testify, I enjoy the 'event' experience. However it does fall on the same weekend of the planned IM70.3 Dublin, anyone know if thats going ahead...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Usually televised on BBC I think so you might find coverage on YouTube etc..

I think there are also two bike courses.. or two separate starting points?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There are two separate bike courses - the Sunday morning waves are the only ones that get to go through Westminster, the afternoon waves don't. The swim course is different for Saturday too as it is mostly sprint and super sprint waves apart from one or two Olympic waves at the end, Olys do 2 laps of the sprint buoys on the Saturday while they do a single loop of 1,500m on the Sunday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement