Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Ireland's Race of the Year

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Ok, Race of the year as voted for by triathletes was Dublin City Triathlon.

While this race is well organised year on year it is limited by its surroundings. Swimming in the Liffey (a bit narrow at the start), multi lap cycle and off road run for the most part.

The race wins it regularly – is this due to its size or the fact that it is well organised?

More competitors, therefore potentially more votes. Before anyone quotes Athy or similar as bigger races (and therefore more potential votes) I don’t think it competes with DCT.

Don’t get me wrong, DCT is brilliantly organised – it has to be due to its location but IMO there are better races due to their location but don't get the votes as they are smaller (Lost Sheep got my vote)

What do the Boards people think of the selection as race of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

I like Dublin, it's a good race, a good course (I don't mind the laps, know they aren't for everyone) and is very well organised. I'd say though one of the reason's it usually does well is the goodie bag. Usually very good and full of decent stuff, some of the other big races goodie bags are just full of flyers.

I didn't vote for it to win Race of the year this year. Ended up throwing out half of the goodie bag too!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭shansey

Mullaghmore in june got it for me. Beautiful swim and run, nice surroundings , a decent t shirt and great food after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

joey100 wrote: »
    I like Dublin, it's a good race, a good course (I don't mind the laps, know they aren't for everyone) and is very well organised. I'd say though one of the reason's it usually does well is the goodie bag. Usually very good and full of decent stuff, some of the other big races goodie bags are just full of flyers.
    Yeah agreed, some of the other big races seems massively overpriced so DCT gets votes for what you get for the money.

Hi-vis jacket, lots of food/drink in the bag (not just samples), beer/food/ice-cream after, and a medal too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

DCT also very beginner friendly so probably gets a lot of votes based on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Can't believe I'm in before Tunney.....

DCT has a major headline sponsor.

Triathlon Ireland have a major headline sponsor.

DCT more often than not wins race of the year.

One could say it's just a big coincidence, some might be more sceptical. Me, I don't think it really matters.

Additionally, said sponsor has a large number of employees who race DCT. Can't see them not voting for the race they sponsor.

BTH wrote: »

One could say it's just a big coincidence, some might be more sceptical. Me, I don't think it really matters.

Additionally, said sponsor has a large number of employees who race DCT. Can't see them not voting for the race they sponsor.

It's been pointed out that these are mostly ODL and wouldn't have a vote.

Also wanted to clarify that I'm not saying DCT doesn't deserve the award, nor that Piranha Tri don't do a great job organising the race. I haven't done DCT since I did the supersprint in my first season in 2010 so I can't have an opinion on that. Just pointing out that from the outside it could easily viewed as being a little fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

There is no better race in Ireland than Kilkee imo. they were robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I've never entered DCT, and there's something about a Liffey swim and Phoenix Park bike and run that just doesn't appeal to me - considering the other races available to enter.
    At the same time I'm not sure how much this 'Race of the Year' stuff really matters. I'd have only been vaguely aware of DCT's status as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'm not going to continually beat the same drum.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I would vote for DCT every year, from what I have raced anyway.

Closed roads, good organisation, easy to get to, high quality field and most importantly.. they have carpet in transition.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I would vote for DCT every year, from what I have raced anyway.

Closed roads, good organisation, easy to get to, high quality field and most importantly.. they have carpet in transition.

Who will be the race organiser this year? :)

tunney wrote: »
    Who will be the race organiser this year? :)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Also one of the main organisers is one of the top people in that headline sponsor..................

Also one of the main organisers is one of the top people in that headline sponsor..................

And? It is a public vote.

mloc123 wrote: »
    And? It is a public vote.

NSA man.
    NSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭MAntoD

DCT is a great race. Well organised, closed roads, great goodie bag, live timing through facebook, cheap, friendly volunteers from Piranha TC and, most importantly, it's easy to enter! The hassle I had this year trying to enter Kilkee, Athy etc through third party timing companies was just not on. If you want to put a race on in Ireland you should only be allowed to have entries through the TI website! There are many great races in Ireland but for the most part there is always one thing about each one which puts me off. DCT is probably the only race where all your expectations are met and then some.

MAntoD wrote: »
    DCT is a great race. Well organised, closed roads, great goodie bag, live timing through facebook, cheap, friendly volunteers from Piranha TC and, most importantly, it's easy to enter! The hassle I had this year trying to enter Kilkee, Athy etc through third party timing companies was just not on. If you want to put a race on in Ireland you should only be allowed to have entries through the TI website! There are many great races in Ireland but for the most part there is always one thing about each one which puts me off. DCT is probably the only race where all your expectations are met and then some.

That's an absolutely ludicrous statement. Give anyone a monopoly like that and prices will rise very quickly. Kilkee used the TI system 2/3 years ago, the servers couldn't handle the demand and the whole system crashed. I don't see limerick tri club ever going back after that fiasco and I really don't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I thought Kilkees entry system this was good, with priority to TI members. Couldn't complain the way it worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

DCT is a good race. However there are some aspects that don't appeal to me (eg 5 bike laps on a busy circuit), but that is a preference.
    One area that DCT doesn't meet my expectations was closing transfers so early. I know at least 10 registered people who couldn't do it in the end due to injuries/work commitments and the same number again that wanted entries.

I also had no issues entering through any of the 3rd party sites. What was the hassle people had?

• Advertisement
Advertisement