Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever read the 'entertainment' news on the RTE website

Options
  • 15-10-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

Goodness me, did I get a shock this morning when admiring the picture of the gorgeous Brendan and the ever-so-dashing Michael on the RTE website.

You see, I glanced as usual at the main headlines - budget, ebola, we're all ****ed one way or the other.....before then casting my eye over the sports news....Ireland v Germany etc....all good.

Now normally at this point in my morning delve into the world of current affairs I click on something from within the scope of the above mentioned sections...and I begin to read.

This morning however, I looked further to the right and saw the 'Entertainment' section....and I realised I'd never ever ever read anything from that section. So I clicked on a story about Gillian Anderson who it seems would like a part in a new movie.....yup, that was the story - an actor wants a part in a movie....that, it seems qualifies as news in the entertainment world.

Undeterred by the apparent pointlessness of the Gillian Anderson story, I delved further into the 'Entertainment' section and opened the next story. This one consisted of three extremely short paragraphs informing me that there may well be a fight in a future episode of Emmerdale.... and that the make-up department has fake blood on order...

At that point I gave up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

alfa beta wrote: »
    Goodness me, did I get a shock this morning when admiring the picture of the gorgeous Brendan and the ever-so-dashing Michael on the RTE website.

You see, I glanced as usual at the main headlines - budget, ebola, we're all ****ed one way or the other.....before then casting my eye over the sports news....Ireland v Germany etc....all good.

Now normally at this point in my morning delve into the world of current affairs I click on something from within the scope of the above mentioned sections...and I begin to read.

This morning however, I looked further to the right and saw the 'Entertainment' section....and I realised I'd never ever ever read anything from that section. So I clicked on a story about Gillian Anderson who it seems would like a part in a new movie.....yup, that was the story - an actor wants a part in a movie....that, it seems qualifies as news in the entertainment world.

Undeterred by the apparent pointlessness of the Gillian Anderson story, I delved further into the 'Entertainment' section and opened the next story. This one consisted of three extremely short paragraphs informing me that there may well be a fight in a future episode of Emmerdale.... and that the make-up department has fake blood on order...

At that point I gave up.

It's supposed to be light hearted drivel, in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

At that point I gave up.

You got furhter than I ever made it. This is pretty much what "entertainment" consists of thesde days...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

It's not entertaining, sure it's not even informative, and I think only a certain sub-species of Irish person would spend their time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have not, no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I never even watch RTE. Or any Irish television, outside of GAA matches. They wouldn't have it if people weren't clicking on it. Can't blame them for making extra money off mindless internet browsers. Anyone actually interested in entertainment news gets it earlier and presented better elsewhere, without grammatical errors from the journalist (not sure how this is possible but somehow RTE seem to achieve it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'd imagine when people see "Entertainment News"they expect more Hollywood than Montrose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

It's not entertaining, sure it's not even informative, and I think only a certain sub-species of Irish person would spend their time on it.

Ah now, women are hardly a sub-species

Mod: This is a prime example of the type of misogynistic comment and snide sexist remarks we are trying to stamp out of AH. Everyone else take note; this type of crap will see you banned from the forum very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

For the most part these days it consists of stories about what's going to happen in the various soaps. The funny thing is that some of them are written as if they're reporting on real life events.

Another thing that I thought was strange was their continued reporting on Rory McIlroy/Caroline Woz break up. Yes it's gossip and some people like reading about that kind of stuff but should the personal lives of two sports stars, with no connection to the entertainment industry be reported as 'entertainment'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

You just have to read the entertainment story headline and that is 100% of the article content. They don't even try to entice you in with a teasing headline, just summarise the story in one line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Actually it's probably quite similar to the Independent's website. Up until recently they had a section called 'Woman' (which was hilarious in its own right and they didn't see that as condescending) that had all this kind or rubbish. They've renamed it now to Style but it's still the same stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE Ten! :p

https://twitter.com/RTE_TEN

apparently compiled by a er 10 year old girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

AERTEL page 300

RTE Ten! :p

https://twitter.com/RTE_TEN

apparently compiled by a er 10 year old girl

well, that is the target audience, so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

To be fair the "entertainment" section on rte is for the type of people who wear pyjamas to the shops. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

No, not at all.

Once clicked on it and read a headline saying something like 'Eastender's Max cheats again', and it took me a couple of seconds to kop they were talking about a character in a soap, being reported as news.

So no, since then have never clicked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I clicked on a story about Gillian Anderson who it seems would like a part in a new movie.....

I wouldn't mind a part in Gillian Anderson.

even if its a small part.

No, not at all.

Once clicked on it and read a headline saying something like 'Eastender's Max cheats again', and it took me a couple of seconds to kop they were talking about a character in a soap, being reported as news.

So no, since then have never clicked into it.

Saw that - thought he'd been diving for penalties at West Ham.

Advertisement