Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Desk Boundaries

Options
  • 15-10-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

The person in my neighbouring desk does not seem to recognise the clear boundary (it's a different unit of furniture) between our desks. (S)he regularly uses the outskirts of my desk for mugs, charging phones etc..

It's not causing me any practical problems, in fairness, and tht is clear. But it seems totally unnecessary as we both have large desks with loads of space, and socket location is not an issue.

Do I need prefessional help, or do they need to be politely told? Something needs to happen, It's stressful for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I know what you mean.
    The person beside me browses social media sites all day and the rest of us have to pick up the slack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The person in my neighbouring desk does not seem to recognise the clear boundary (it's a different unit of furniture) between our desks. (S)he regularly uses the outskirts of my desk for mugs, charging phones etc..

It's not causing me any practical problems, in fairness, and tht is clear. But it seems totally unnecessary as we both have large desks with loads of space, and socket location is not an issue.

Do I need prefessional help, or do they need to be politely told? Something needs to happen, It's stressful for me.

Maybe leave some large object on your side of the dividing line?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rabbo wrote: »
    I know what you mean.
    The person beside me browses social media sites all day and the rest of us have to pick up the slack
    Is the person beside you a mirror?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Throw the items back at her, she'll soon get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Act now before it goes too far!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Draw a line in chalk while maintaining intense eye contact.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Isn't this exactly how the Second World War started?

Kill her parents and feed them to her in a delicious chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,456 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Set fire to her desk. It's the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

And today's pressing global concern : desk Lebensraum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Subacio

One word. Two syllables. Demarcation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The answer is to make your desk as unfriendly and hostile to invaders as possible, which will make them seek alternative nesting sites.

Here's a good start: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Jedward-Rubber-Backed-Mouse-Mat-Dinner-Mat-Can-Be-Personalised-/280828531795

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

As read this thread, all I can think of is this scene from The Office (US): youtube.com/watch?v=42pPHBOOteA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

As in the answer to most threads in after hours, Masturbation is the key here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Pick up anything left on your desk and drop it down in the canteen. If they ask just say you were wondering why it was left on your desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭HellishHeat

So we're all agreed that this so-called person should pay with their life. That is a relief. I was beginning to think I was a bit square.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I know exactly what you mean, have first hand experience with this. First you need to either raise or lower your desk so that you have a defined boundary. Then you need to put stuff you are no longer using a long the edge of your desk. Here is the edge of my desk, I've lowered mine about 2 or 3 cm and there are some empty bottles and magazines a long the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Advertisement