Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Pay for Part Time Employee

Options
  • 15-10-2014 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have had a part time job since December 2013. Since then I have worked 930 hours. For the last 5 weeks I've only been working 6 hours a week and now it seems as though my manager has taken me off the roster completely as I told him I would be fairly busy with college. I have been thinking of quitting as well since he hasn't paid me for a week's work back in July (22 hours) even after reminding him countless times.

My questions are...
    1. Am I entitled to holiday pay even after I have quit the job? (I never took any holidays during the year and worked every week unless my manager didn't put me on the roster for a certain week)

2. Does the fact I have only worked 6 hours per week over the last several weeks affect how much I would be entitled to?

3. If my contract says I am not entitled to holiday pay am I screwed? (I have stupidly misplaced the contract and can't remember what was said about holiday pay)

Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

chococobs wrote: »
    I have had a part time job since December 2013. Since then I have worked 930 hours. For the last 5 weeks I've only been working 6 hours a week and now it seems as though my manager has taken me off the roster completely as I told him I would be fairly busy with college. I have been thinking of quitting as well since he hasn't paid me for a week's work back in July (22 hours) even after reminding him countless times.

My questions are...
    1. Am I entitled to holiday pay even after I have quit the job? (I never took any holidays during the year and worked every week unless my manager didn't put me on the roster for a certain week)

2. Does the fact I have only worked 6 hours per week over the last several weeks affect how much I would be entitled to?

3. If my contract says I am not entitled to holiday pay am I screwed? (I have stupidly misplaced the contract and can't remember what was said about holiday pay)

Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks

You are entitled to holiday leave equal to 8% of hours worked. Your employer cannot legally deny you this entitlement, it is written in law despite what your contract might say (don't worry, no contract would say you have no entitlement to holiday leave). Normally you cannot be paid enlieu of holiday leave (the employer cannot "buy" the holiday leave from you) but you are entitled to be paid for any untaken holiday leave left over when your employment ends.

You first need to contact your employer to see if in fact you have been let go. You need to find that contract and see if it is a "zero hours" contract. And if your employer does confirm you are finished, you need to be able to show exactly how many hours you have worked, then divide by 100 and multiply by 8, the answer is the number of hours holiday leave you are owed, tell them you want to be paid along with a p45 and a good reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chococobs

I am fairly sure it's a zero hours contract as I never had set hours, the manager just put up a roster each week which was different nearly every week. I do have all my weekly payslips which clearly show how much I've been paid and total hours worked and I have my own record of hours worked as well.

Thanks for the reply

Advertisement