Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Architecture Portfolio

Options
  • 15-10-2014 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm a 6th year student, intending on studying architecture in college next year. I'm applying to both UCD and DIT and then also in the UK to Cambridge, Bath, Edinburgh, University of London and Queens Belfast.

About half of these courses require a portfolio but they are very vague as to what they want to see in it. Would anyone be able to give me some advice on what to include (or steer clear of for that matter!)? Also, does anyone know of someone who does portfolio classes or tutoring with experience in architecture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

Okay very simple breakdown here. I'm current;y in 1st year architecture and got 70/100 mks in my interview/portfolio (which I assume you understand what that means ie LC points)
    As for my portfolio, I was quite poor. Had one stand out drawing but the rest was dreadful really. I personally would recommend doing a sketch of a building you like and know the architect so you can discuss it a little and would be comfortable talking about him/her. I didn't do this and felt it was something they were looking for.
    But as for stuff to include; Show you have an interest in something! Draw cars if you like cars, maybe a football player or a singer. Whatever you like. Just make sure it shows your ability to draw, whether it be painting ability, sketching ability, graphic design ability. You need to show them that you have a raw talent they can help mould into an architect. That's all.
    And one other thing, fill a sketchbook over the year and bring it. They love to see people who sketch nearly everyday. They encourage it once you get into the course so I believe it'd be good to start early.
    Any more questions about the course or whatever and I'd be happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kmm2497

Okay very simple breakdown here. I'm current;y in 1st year architecture and got 70/100 mks in my interview/portfolio (which I assume you understand what that means ie LC points)
    As for my portfolio, I was quite poor. Had one stand out drawing but the rest was dreadful really. I personally would recommend doing a sketch of a building you like and know the architect so you can discuss it a little and would be comfortable talking about him/her. I didn't do this and felt it was something they were looking for.
    But as for stuff to include; Show you have an interest in something! Draw cars if you like cars, maybe a football player or a singer. Whatever you like. Just make sure it shows your ability to draw, whether it be painting ability, sketching ability, graphic design ability. You need to show them that you have a raw talent they can help mould into an architect. That's all.
    And one other thing, fill a sketchbook over the year and bring it. They love to see people who sketch nearly everyday. They encourage it once you get into the course so I believe it'd be good to start early.
    Any more questions about the course or whatever and I'd be happy to help!

Hey sorry I was just wondering if you could explain the 100 points for interview or portfolio please. Does that mean that for DIT if I got like 50/100 in the interview I would need 540 in points in the LC? Thank you!

kmm2497 wrote: »
    Hey sorry I was just wondering if you could explain the 100 points for interview or portfolio please. Does that mean that for DIT if I got like 50/100 in the interview I would need 540 in points in the LC? Thank you!

Yeah you've got it! There's the potential to get 825 points for the course, which would mean full marks in LC and interview+aptitude test.
    Average for interview seems to be 80/90 so give it your best and I'd say you'll be grand.
    Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kmm2497

Yeah you've got it! There's the potential to get 825 points for the course, which would mean full marks in LC and interview+aptitude test.
    Average for interview seems to be 80/90 so give it your best and I'd say you'll be grand.
    Hope that helps :)

Thank you so much this helped a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mmchugh

Thanks so much for that advice! Roughly how many finished pieces do you think they would expect to see? And in terms of referencing your work, do you think it would be a good idea to include a few photos of a building you may have drawn if it's not particularly well known? Or do you think this would just highlight flaws in my version?

Also, is there any reading material you think would be useful to have a look through in terms of prep for an architecture interview, not necessarily just for the DIT one?

• Advertisement

mmchugh wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that advice! Roughly how many finished pieces do you think they would expect to see? And in terms of referencing your work, do you think it would be a good idea to include a few photos of a building you may have drawn if it's not particularly well known? Or do you think this would just highlight flaws in my version?

Also, is there any reading material you think would be useful to have a look through in terms of prep for an architecture interview, not necessarily just for the DIT one?

10 well done pieces more than enough. Be able to talk a little bit about them. Know the architect + name of building that you drew. Maybe another building by that architect too!
    As for material. Read up on Modern Architecture movement (1900s). Frank Lloyd wright, le Corbusier and Mies van der Rohe are main men there.
    Any other questions guys fire away!

Advertisement