Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Private Messages

Options
  • 14-10-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

If you send a message to someone that isn't on your friend list will they get a notification of it?
    I know theres 2 folders in the inbox but not sure how this works.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

It'll go in to their "other" inbox. That's only if they have their privacy settings to receive mails from "friends of friends".

That reminds me, I should delete my facebook. Been using it less and less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It'll go in to their "other" inbox. That's only if they have their privacy settings to receive mails from "friends of friends".

Standard 'I'm too cool for facebook comment'

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭momec

If it goes to their "other" inbox, chances are they will not see it, unless they actually know to go looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

****ing Facebook......

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where's facebooker when you need him?

• Advertisement

Standard 'I'm too cool for facebook comment'

Standard "like whoring" comment from knee-jerk posting.

Re-read my post. I didn't state I hated facebook, just that I'm using it less frequently to the point where not having an account is desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is facebook intentionally complicated or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

If it goes into their "other" folder then they won't get a email or alert saying they have a message. I had a message in there for months and never even knew it was there till i just had a random check. I deleted my account but do keep an eye on that folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Re-read my post. I didn't state I hated facebook, just that I'm using it less frequently to the point where not having an account is desirable.

yes...the group messaging on whatapp is way better and a tiny bit more private...though facebook own whatsspp now which complicates thing a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does it not come up on the home screen where there's General notifications, messages and friend requests in the top corner?

• Advertisement

yes...the group messaging on whatapp is way better and a tiny bit more private...though facebook own whatsspp now which complicates thing a lot

*snorts and adjusts glasses*

Well, if you want REAL security you'll need end-to-end with symmetric-key encryption (256 bit AES-GCM).

Like this for android.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Why did you feel the need to tell us?

Maybe you should use it a bit more.

*snorts and adjusts glasses*

Well, if you want REAL security you'll need end-to-end with symmetric-key encryption (256 bit AES-GCM).

Like this for android.

meh...I doubt anyone would bother hacking into our group chatv...its pure horse-crap spoke modstly on it....nice for all the world not to fully know how odd we are

how secure exactly is that other app btw?

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Why did you feel the need to tell us?

Maybe you should use it a bit more.

Because....snif.

Will they not see the red icon on the home screen in the top corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Thought it was a fantastic alternative to Facebook until they paid 19 billion to buy it.

Now it's just another arm of the NSA.

I'm definitely on a list of some kind. :(

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Will they not see the red icon on the home screen in the top corner?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I got a message from someone I wasn't friends with it and it came up like a normal message.

Ok so I just checked on Facebook. If you pay 77 cent it will be send to the persons main inbox

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Ok so I just checked on Facebook. If you pay 77 cent it will be send to the persons main inbox

What celeb are you sending dick pics to?! :pac:

• Advertisement

Thought it was a fantastic alternative to Facebook until they paid 19 billion to buy it.

Now it's just another arm of the NSA.

I'm definitely on a list of some kind. :(
    really long usernames who I cant spell list:pac::pac:

I was amazed at the price facebook paid for it...since esp there no advertising and limited scope for advertising on it

siblers wrote: »
    I got a message from someone I wasn't friends with it and it came up like a normal message.
    Did you see it easily?
    What celeb are you sending dick pics to?! :pac:

None at all! Just a message so someone I don't know very well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

I have been thinking of deleting it. I think I write less when I mess around on the net. It's as if in my stupid ramblings a lot of my creativity for more serious work gets sucked in.

To the OP it depends on your settings.

If they have strict filtering it goes to other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Sometimes it appears that After Hours is like a big FAQ for Facebook. I don't know why these threads are tolerated.

keith16 wrote: »
    Sometimes it appears that After Hours is like a big FAQ for Facebook. I don't know why these threads are tolerated.

I posted it in a more specific social media forum but nobody replied until today and I figured AH gets much more traffic.

It does look like unless you pay the equivalent of $1 it goes to other messages

Advertisement