Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help or advice on quitting drinking

Options
  • 14-10-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Ok so basically i think i have hit rock bottom and the cause is totally my out of control drinking. Im female, thirty years old with a well paid job. I just dont know how my life turned so crap. At the moment im taking librium to try quit but they are not helping. Im ruining my relationships with family ect. I have also recently started taking cocaine along with the drinking. All my money is going on drink and drugs and I dont know how to stop, if anyone has been in a similar situation i would really appreciate your advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Ok so basically i think i have hit rock bottom and the cause is totally my out of control drinking. Im female, thirty years old with a well paid job. I just dont know how my life turned so crap. At the moment im taking librium to try quit but they are not helping. Im ruining my relationships with family ect. I have also recently started taking cocaine along with the drinking. All my money is going on drink and drugs and I dont know how to stop, if anyone has been in a similar situation i would really appreciate your advice.

There are quite a few threads and posts right here that can help, also dropping in to a local AA/CA meeting might be of some help,all I can say for a fact there are no miracle cures,it's hard if not very satisfying work, good luck and keep posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ruby37

Maybe consider going to CBT, I found it very good. We all need a little help every now and then and unfortunately we tend to think that drink/drugs will help but of course they just make us feel worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Librium are only for dealing with alcohol withdrawal though they do lessen the cravings,the want to stop has to come from within youself I'd recommend a book called the national history of alcoholism revisited by George vaillant its probably the most in depth look and study of alcoholic behaviour and the nature of it and ways of dealing with it,its available as PDF online but in unfortunately I can't post links being a new userw

• Registered Users Posts: 7 traincrash.ie

Thanks for the advice guys and i will definitely look up the book. Things cant get any worse so they will have to get better. Hopefully. I will just have to face work in the morning and at least get that over with and then just try not to go out.

Thanks for the advice guys and i will definitely look up the book. Things cant get any worse so they will have to get better. Hopefully. I will just have to face work in the morning and at least get that over with and then just try not to go out.

Please keep posting here this forum has been an inspiration to many of us some further down the line than you are at the minute,some of realies posts here should be made as a sticky at the top of the forum lol kudos to him

• Advertisement

Yeah i will definitely post tomorrow and hopefully will be feeling better. Think the last two days have been the worst. Contemplated just ending it all but thankfully didn't. Life just feels so hard at the moment. Tomorrow is another day and who knows what it will bring.

Yeah i will definitely post tomorrow and hopefully will be feeling better. Think the last two days have been the worst. Contemplated just ending it all but thankfully didn't. Life just feels so hard at the moment. Tomorrow is another day and who knows what it will bring.

Them thoughts seem to be the package with it even most GPS will ask if your having them thoughts when you come clean about your drinking,all the asvice I can give you is take one day at a time after a week say to yourself one more week and then continue on....it does get easier with time,plus you'll thank yourself for the clear heads in the morning,and actually getting things done instead of being too hungover to do them

Best of luck sincerely,

Its a hard road at the start but one that's well worth it

Thanks for the advice, i hope i can make it a week. Would be so happy to even make it through this weekend tbh. Haven't drank today so that's a plus. Sorry to be whining on but actually just had to reach out to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ruby37

Please don't think that things won't get better because they will. You are only 30 with your whole life ahead of you, this is just a bad patch. I couldn't recommend CBT highly enough and to be honest I would have been very sceptical about any kind of counselling. It might not be for everyone but you should at least give it a go. Maybe just book one appointment and see how it goes. X

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

How's all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Feckrd

I would love to give you advice but I think I am in a worse place than you. I stated taking cocaine because it allowed me to drink more. I didn't like cocaine but I loved the fact that I could drink all night on it.. I want to give it up. I really think I will be dead soon and I am not very old (44). If I told you the situations drink has put me in it would frighten the ****e out of you yet I continue to deny I have a problem. I am so scared of everything, AND I MEAN EVERYTHING

I hope my story frightens you and you will get help. If you think I am exaggerating, think again
    , if anything I m playing it down

I wish you the very best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Feckrd wrote: »
    I would love to give you advice but I think I am in a worse place than you. I stated taking cocaine because it allowed me to drink more. I didn't like cocaine but I loved the fact that I could drink all night on it.. I want to give it up. I really think I will be dead soon and I am not very old (44). If I told you the situations drink has put me in it would frighten the ****e out of you yet I continue to deny I have a problem. I am so scared of everything, AND I MEAN EVERYTHING

I hope my story frightens you and you will get help. If you think I am exaggerating, think again
    , if anything I m playing it down

I wish you the very best of luck

Brother, I am on the same page, just read your post & had to reply. Only I added smoking gear to cover me going into DT's in the morning, haven't done coke in years. Gear & drink suits me more now I've withdrawn into myself totally. Even passed my dealer in cheap booze & heroin this morning and all I could manage was a quick smile & hey while I was rattling, only focusing on getting to the offie, couldn't get my brain in gear. Didn't know he was around at 10.30 today. I turned 40 a couple of months ago & I had my mother, sister & goddaughter visit me in hospital where I was hooked up to oxygen after coming out of a coma. Great scene. Goddaughter took pictures of course, had to ask her not to put them on facebook or whatever. It is a death sentence whether you know it or not, you start in control but it takes over, no doubt. Only thing I could never defeat.

On the bright side I did buy fry-up stuff this morning so at least I have some food in my belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lemesma

My advice is to first go to AA meetings in your area. I went to an addiction counsellor in my health centre. I took librium for 5 days then started with small steps like walking, drinking loads of bottles of water. Replacing the drink with exercise and talking. I used to stay in bed all day drinking whiskey not even getting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Thanks for the advice, i hope i can make it a week. Would be so happy to even make it through this weekend tbh. Haven't drank today so that's a plus. Sorry to be whining on but actually just had to reach out to someone.

One of the first things is not to worry about tomorrow, or next week...especially when you are early on. Concentrate on today only (or sometimes the next hour). It makes quitting way more tolerable. Aside from the physical withdrawal (yes alcohol...unsure about coke) there is the habit you have around it that you need to withdraw from.

You need to wake up every morning, and say you aren't going to drink or take a line...and stick to it. Don't worry about the weekend or even tomorrow...just today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I have posted this a few times, I thing its brilliant.

There are 2 days in every week about which we should not worry

2 days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of the days is YESTERDAY,with all its mistakes and cares,

its faults and blunders and its aches and pains.

Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control

All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday,

We cannot undo a single act performed,we cannot erase

a single word said.

YESTERDAY IS GONE

The other day we should not worry about is Tomorrow.

Tomorrow is beyond our control,it has not arrived.......yet,

Tomorrow,s sun will rise,whether in splendour or behind a

mask of clouds,but it will rise,until it does,we have no stake

in Tomorrow.

THIS LEAVES ONLY ONE DAY

TODAY

Anyone can fight the battles of just one-day, It is when you add the

burdens of those two awful days together

YESTERDAY & TOMORROW

That we break down.

LET US THEREFORE LIVE ONE DAY AT A TIME.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Feckrd

I have read this again and I wish I cod say everything is great BUT IT IS'NT. i have decided to look after myself. My marriage is *****d. I'm going to a meeting tonight to try and get better. I AM GOING TO TRY. Thants the best I can do

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Feckrd wrote: »
    I have read this again and I wish I cod say everything is great BUT IT IS'NT. i have decided to look after myself. My marriage is *****d. I'm going to a meeting tonight to try and get better. I AM GOING TO TRY. Thants the best I can do

Well done. You are taking responsibility for yourself and its one of the first things I had to get to grips with : Getting better was down to me taking full responsibility and me only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The day I stopped drinking after hitting rock bottom I spoke to my brother about it. It helps to speak to someone in confidence. The main thing is to realise you have a problem and need help to change things. I went to a AA meeting a few days after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 openhealth1

Hope people are doing ok this morning.

I came across drinkcoach.org.uk which is a smartphone app which helps people to manage their drinking-even allows you to set up texts if your gps sees you're at a place you previously said was trouble.

Think it costs about 1.9 sterling, has anybody used this and if so what did you think about it?

Advertisement