Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BE licence category: am I entitled to it?

Options
  • 14-10-2014 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I got my first 'provisional licence' in July 2000 and passed my B/W/AM in April 2001. I never had the BE category. Is it too late to have it added retrospectively?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

No.

I have a full B since 1994 and I had to go through the full process

AFAIK, only those who processed full B licences prior to 1985 (or is it '87) are entitled to a free BE upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It was never an automatic add on in those years.

You'll have to do a theory test, apply for learner permit and then sit a test.

You don't have to hold the permit for 6 months before sitting the test though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Found it

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Cars-and-Trailers/
    Car and trailer licence entitlement

Where a person sat a driving test in the car category in Ireland and got their full driving licence in class C before 13 November 1989 they would have been entitled by default to tow a trailer of unlimited size. Some people lost their entitlement to tow a trailer of unlimited size because they did not apply for this category on renewal of their licence or within 10 years of having the class C on their licence.

Due to a change in the law a person wishing to tow a trailer of unlimited size after 13 November 1989 had to pass a driving test in the car and trailer licence category. The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport has decided that those people who lost the entitlement can now apply to have this category added to their driving licence without the need to sit a driving test. Any person availing of this change must have continued to retain their entitlement to the car category (category B) since 1989.

Advertisement