Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average cost of replacing a boiler

Options
  • 14-10-2014 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Can someone please tell me what I can expect to pay to replace an oil fired boiler? Current system is a UNIDARE/Riello burner which I'm thinking of replacing with a Grant Vortex external condensing boiler. Had thought to do this last year but had to postpone it. Last year Highest quotes were coming in between 350 and 450. This year I'm getting quotes between 500 and 800! Is this now the the norm? Rates seem a little off the wall. Thanks Guys. DD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Can someone please tell me what I can expect to pay to replace an oil fired boiler? Current system is a UNIDARE/Riello burner which I'm thinking of replacing with a Grant Vortex external condensing boiler. Had thought to do this last year but had to postpone it. Last year Highest quotes were coming in between 350 and 450. This year I'm getting quotes between 500 and 800! Is this now the the norm? Rates seem a little off the wall. Thanks Guys. DD

I don't know anybody that could do it as cheap as 800 to be honest. For me to do a standard changeover, including the boiler usually comes in around 2800. That includes a powerflush of the system which is a must with new boilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

are you supplying the boiler ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DesperateDan2

Yes, I'd be supplying the boiler. Just need to have an idea what it would cost to take out the old boiler (Unidare boiler/Riello burner). Powerflushing done November last and fitted with MagnaClean. Replacement boiler will be external and located close to existing pipework where current boiler sitting currently. DD

the reason I asked is if you are purchasing the boiler yourself you probably wont be getting it at trade price unless you have your own contacts

plumber/installer would have a trade discount which most will pass to customer once they are doing the job so might be a bit of a saving there for you as well

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Just got a boiler replaced by a grant vortex 50/90 here in galway, along with heating controls, new piping to cylinder, new oil line from tank and trv's on radiators.paid 3000 all in not including electrician costs of 250. will get the SEAI grant of 610 off it though which will take some of the sting out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

blueskys wrote: »
    Just got a boiler replaced by a grant vortex 50/90 here in galway, along with heating controls, new piping to cylinder, new oil line from tank and trv's on radiators.paid 3000 all in not including electrician costs of 250. will get the SEAI grant of 610 off it though which will take some of the sting out of it.

Pretty cheap. Did you get the system flushed too? How long were they at it?

@bluesky - you got a good deal there!
    @ jimf - I'm not so sure all contractors will pass on the savings made on boilers with their trade discounts to their customers.
    Last year I got quotes for installation only of boilers and compared them to costs for supply and fit. Having checked the prices of boilers, I knew how much I was paying for labor This year labor costs have gone off the richter scales. Have to wonder how plumbers justify this huge markup! And in case you're wondering …. I always made it clear I was interested in getting a quote for labor only. I wish I had the kind of money I need to spend to qualify for an SEAI grant.Only kind of work plumbers seem interested in these days. At the rates they're charging for installs, I'd say they have that too factored in to their quotes! Guess, I'll have to stay with my old boiler. Working great, just not cost efficient. DD

maybe wrong of me to presume most plumbers will/would pass on said discount but im only gauging my comment on friends of mine who are plumbers and are more than happy to operate this way

I don't do installs myself service and repair only so cant comment on the prices quoted for installs but im sure others on here will be on later

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Pretty cheap. Did you get the system flushed too? How long were they at it?

Yeah he did a power flush at start. to be fair he was doing it over a couple of weeks on the odd evening or afternoon off as wasn't in a particular hurry. huge difference in oil consumption though, definitely recommend it. Was thinking of getting a stove with back boiler etc instead of new oil burner but when i sat down and worked it out the new oil burner works out a lot more economical than a stove which eats a lot of fuel especially over a day and evening.

@bluesky - The plumber who did my powerflush was here for the best part of the day. I saw all the rubbish that came out of the rads. Made a huge difference. The rads were piping hot.
    I only wish my old Riello was working at maximum efficiency. Anyone know if I can just replace the burner and leave the old boiler or would the new burner be incompatible with the old boiler. Maybe Jim would know the answer to this? I'm not sure if its possible to just upgrade the burner? Any plumbers out there willing to share their knowledge?? DD

• Advertisement

the inefficiency of your old boiler just doesn't stem from the burner only so replacing the burner is not the answer

but having said that a burner/boiler serviced and set up properly using a flugas analyser will certainly be a big improvement on one that has a nozzle change and a quick blast of the hoover

@jimf - thanks for clarifiying the burner/boiler issue for me.

Advertisement