Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

19 commercial insurance student

Options
  • 14-10-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

well lads thinking of getting insured on a van like a caddy etc. my father owns his own business and i do work for him alot but all off the books, i said about getting insured when i was 17 with on the provisional but he said it would be through the roof. now i have the full well over a year and plenty of named driver experience so what do ye think? he says no joy till im over 25 but iv looked on line and not much info on the subject need to know some facts before i talk to him again about it, if im put on the books for the insurance will i have to get wages?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fairly certain you have to be over 25

No correlation between you being on the insurance and having to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

My dad has a business and always had the typical over 25 open driving commerical policy on his vans. From 17 I was named on the policy with no issue. Once you pay the extra the insurance company don't care. So the basically the policy is becoming over 25 open driving and you being specifically named. It's normally a few 100 extra a year depending on the company. I can't see how you will have an issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ROB42

when you where put on, where you on the books as an employee or what?

ROB42 wrote: »
    when you where put on, where you on the books as an employee or what?

Yep I was. I'm not 100% sure if you need too. But revenue might see it as weird if you were insured to drive a company vehicle and were not on he books. As well as the fact that when you insure a company vehicle it's in the companies name it's insured generally so then would the insurance be void if you weren't on the books I don't know. I'm not too sure of the ins and outs it would be a lot handier if you were on the books. I don't think you necessarily need to be paid regularly to be employed by the company/ on the books but I'm not sure hopefully someone will know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ROB42

Bpmull wrote: »
    Yep I was. I'm not 100% sure if you need too. But revenue might see it as weird if you were insured to drive a company vehicle and were not on he books. As well as the fact that when you insure a company vehicle it's in the companies name it's insured generally so then would the insurance be void if you weren't on the books I don't know. I'm not too sure of the ins and outs it would be a lot handier if you were on the books. I don't think you necessarily need to be paid regularly to be employed by the company/ on the books but I'm not sure hopefully someone will know better.

thanks very helpful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Bear in mind that commercial insurance usually only covers you while driving in the course of your work/business. If you're doing this to drive the van to college, then it's technically fraud and you're likely to be in trouble if someone makes a claim against you.

The best option is to discuss this with your insurer/broker as they will have all the facts to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Chimaera wrote: »
    Bear in mind that commercial insurance usually only covers you while driving in the course of your work/business. If you're doing this to drive the van to college, then it's technically fraud and you're likely to be in trouble if someone makes a claim against you.

The best option is to discuss this with your insurer/broker as they will have all the facts to hand.

This may be true if you are driving a company van, but my commercial policy covers social, domestic and pleasure also. Depends on the insurance company I think

Chimaera wrote: »

I'm fairly sure most of them insurance policies cover social domestic and pleasure. I think it's more of the commerical tax being an issue than the insurance. I must look at some of the old policy's my dads business had and see what they say but I'm daily sure they all covered sdp

Construction company I used to work allowed all the summer workers drive all the vans (all under 25 and all off the books). Some of us would be driving all day everyday delivering to sites so I doubt he was allowing us drive uninsured. Said once you had a full licence you could drive the vans, no one was named so must have been open drive.

Advertisement