Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High Milage Diesel BMW e61 5 series

Options
  • 14-10-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

Howdy all

Petrol owner here, trading up to his first diesel.

I've had 3 bmw's (e36 coupe, e46 coupe, e46 touring) and am now in the market for an 06-08 520D or msport. 2L engine max. There are quite a few around. I know the tax situation from 08 on is an incentive... BUT:

My question is this...

Would I be mad to consider a well maintained, fully serviced one... if the milage is up at the 140/150K miles bracket - or would it go another 50K miles for me if I was happy to drive it into the ground/keep it another 3-4 years.

Or should i stick to the safer, lower milage cars.

I know at the end of the day, no one can say for sure... but I guess my short question is - would the car (on the balance of probability) on 140/150K miles be worth a punt?

I'll use it for work and short trips 5 days. OH has a round trip to Galway from Limerick twice a week.

TIA
    Hooked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Are you aware of the timing chain issue? If so I would only be looking cars that have had the remedial work done. High milage diesels would not worry me assuming FSH.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

Don't worry too much about the high mileage - that's too be expected with a diesel when it gets to eight to 10 years of age. Suggest that you focus more on service history and general condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There's is one manufacturer I wouldnt touch after 150k miles and it's BMW.
    Just too many big bills for the ordinary man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Hooked

Are you aware of the timing chain issue? If so I would only be looking cars that have had the remedial work done. High milage diesels would not worry me assuming FSH.

I've heard of timing chain and swirl flaps issues in particular.

Thanks for the info

Advertisement