Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian TV.

Options
  • 14-10-2014 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭

Not the Bollywood stuff,which seems to be reasonably well made,but the TV soap type programmes you find on those obscure channels.
    It is mesmerising in a bad sort of way.
    No idea what goes on but the bad guys invariably are slightly overweight,mustache with open neck shirt and medallion of some sort.In contrast to the good guy who is young handsome and gets lingering shots looking into the distance.
    The lead female always appears to have an extended family in tow for some reason.

The level of acting always reminds me of the school plays we all did in the day,and makes Fair City look Shakespearean.
    Any other examples of good crap TV from around the world?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There's usually the disconcerting mother who shouts and batters people.
    No idea what goes on but the bad guys invariably are slightly overweight,mustache with open neck shirt and medallion of some sort

Bloodshot eyes seem to be a requirement of this dress-code too.

I do love their movies, they're like 80's action movies on steroids.

Japanese TV always takes the biscuit though, their prank shows are gloriously evil with sprinkles of "What the fùck am I watching and why can't I look away?"

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Georgian TV is some of the most mesmerising out there. They import Spanish and Portugese telenovellas from central/south America, has some of the first sex scenes ever seen in the country, and every, and I mean EVERY voice on the show is dubbed over by one deadpan Georgian man.

Video: <Latina woman on the TV getting stabbed and shrieking in Spanish>
    Audio: <deadpan Georgian 50 year old man> "No. No. Do not stab me. It is bad. No"

Every grandmother in the country is glued to this crap from morning to night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Bring back glenroe..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My favourite Indian star is some guy called Josh Rogan.

He's quite the dish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I get it, their clothes are different from my clothes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

My Mum loves those bloody things, and they are pretty bad. Also, saw a fantasy show, which reminded me a bit of the old Hercules tv show, which gave me a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't agree more. It's so bad it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I lived with an Indian guy for about three days and it was constant cricket with ads every 30 seconds a bit mad, but he liked it, bet like a madman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

North Korean TV propaganda is great.

NB: North Korean TV propaganda is in fact North Korean TV propaganda propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There is an Indian radio station on the SkyBox that has played the same song for the last three years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

In Australia, we used to watch a show (can't for the life of remember the name) that was on weekly.

Anyway it featured a group of Aboriginals who (yeah every week) would be heading off on a drive to collect a cousin/brother/friend etc from prison. (always prison lol)

Every week something would happen, like a radiator would burst on the (for example), cue them finding a discarded car battery in the middle of the desert which, after igniting a fire, they would melt down, pour into radiator and seal the cracks (you get the jist)

It was (i presume) meant to be educational for young aboriginal people on survival skills in the bush or outback.

It was comedy gold though, we used to keep our stash of 'Jamaican woodbines' and munchies for the show.

Hopefully someone out there will remember it too?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

mike_ie wrote: »
    Georgian TV is some of the most mesmerising out there. They import Spanish and Portugese telenovellas from central/south America, has some of the first sex scenes ever seen in the country, and every, and I mean EVERY voice on the show is dubbed over by one deadpan Georgian man.

Video: <Latina woman on the TV getting stabbed and shrieking in Spanish>
    Audio: <deadpan Georgian 50 year old man> "No. No. Do not stab me. It is bad. No"

Every grandmother in the country is glued to this crap from morning to night.

You get similar stuff in Polish. Tried to watch Rocky once but I had to give up after 2 mins. The total lack of passion in the dubber is almost impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

You get similar stuff in Polish. Tried to watch Rocky once but I had to give up after 2 mins. The total lack of passion in the dubber is almost impressive.

I think the idea is that your brain starts to sort of ignore the droning voice, and pay attention to the original voice of the actors instead. That way you can understand what's happening (as it's dubbed) while also getting the original acting.

Though I tried to watch Friends in Poland and it didn't really work. :( Maybe you need to actually understand the boring voice for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

India's "interesting" only begins with its TV shows.

Nobody who goes out there comes back the same.

You have to step outside Ireland to understand it, and likewise you have to step outside the west to see it properly in context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

You just have to see the Nigerian soap operas, there's something special about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Duggy747 wrote: »
    There's usually the disconcerting mother who shouts and batters people.

Yeah,there's always a battle axe of an oul won.

Good stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

This is one smooth fighter. The end punch should be in the hall of fame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

biko wrote: »
    This is one smooth fighter. The end punch should be in the hall of fame.

Mario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lc180

OK maybe this doesn't count cos its a reality TV show but any time I'm hungover and feeling sorry for myself on a Sunday afternoon I check to see if Nigerian Idol is one of the random Sky channels. Its TV gold and an instant pick me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIl4mMumdAo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIl4mMumdAo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

kneemos wrote: »
    No idea what goes on but the bad guys invariably are slightly overweight,mustache with open neck shirt and medallion of some sort.In contrast to the good guy who is young handsome and gets lingering shots looking into the distance.

So Pat Mustard & Fr Dougal skipped off to new careers in Indian TV by the sounds of it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Anyone remember Mahabarat?

I watched the whole of it on BBC, I had no idea what was going on.

Advertisement