Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't touch my pint Noonan!

Options
  • 14-10-2014 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Will he, won't he?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The Independent are claiming it won't go up anyway

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Well done that man

Micro-breweries have had excise relief increased

MOAR GBB BEERS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Well done that man

Micro-breweries have had excise relief increased

MOAR GBB BEERS!!!!

I missed that one. Where was it announced?

Just means GBB can price gouge us for even more money :pac:

So at the moment the relief is on all produced beer up to 20,000hl - which has been upped to 30,000.

There doesn't seem to be any of the craft breweries over 20000hl at the moment, similarly there isn't any 'macros' that are below 30000hl, maybe a brewery is planning an expansion and got in the ear of someone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

There doesn't seem to be any of the craft breweries over 20000hl at the moment
    Making a little more than 20khL of beer would have just been daft. The profit on the extra beer would have to be greater than the loss of income from not getting the duty rebate. The rebate provides a boundary between micro and macro in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

similarly there isn't any 'macros' that are below 30000hl,.

Economies of scale, macros generally do multiple brews a day, 7 days a week. But the new C&C "Clonmel 1650" may fall under that finance act if they qualify.

"legally and economically independent (within the meaning of Section 78A of the Finance Act 2003) of any other brewery"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

oblivious wrote: »
    Economies of scale, macros generally do multiple brews a day, 7 days a week. But the new C&C "Clonmel 1650" may fall under that finance act if they qualify.

"legally and economically independent (within the meaning of Section 78A of the Finance Act 2003) of any other brewery"

don't C&C own Bulmers - that's a brewery...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

matrim wrote: »
    Just means GBB can price gouge us for even more money :pac:

Their prices are getting just too much. I would love to see their accounts. They are the next big brewery and soon be exactly the same

Clonmel 1650 or whatever is the worst sh!te I have ever tasted. Makes Budweiser taste like gods nectar

loyatemu wrote: »

Yea, I though for a minute that C&C Gleeson was just a shareholder not owner

loyatemu wrote: »
    It's not. The act only applies to beer. However, C&C does own Wellpark in Glasgow so wouldn't be eligible for a duty rebate on Clonmel 1650. The Five Lamps Brewery presumably does not get any rebate, for the same reason.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's not. The act only applies to beer. However, C&C does own Wellpark in Glasgow so wouldn't be eligible for a duty rebate on Clonmel 1650. The Five Lamps Brewery presumably does not get any rebate, for the same reason.

Ta, I couldn't put my finger on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

harsh that the act doesn't extend to cider, given that there are a few craft cider-makers in the country.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Their prices are getting just too much. I would love to see their accounts.

This again?

They are a business, not a charity.

If the market conditions are allowing them to charge their current prices then more power to them. We don't live in a communist country, it's called capitalism, they are in the beer making business to make a profit. There are enough people willing to pay the prices they charge to make it a sustainable business - that's how it works. They are not obliged to keep prices low. If YOU want to drink cheaper beer, take your custom elsewhere. If enough people do that then their prices will drop, but as far as I can see, more and more people are buying their beer at the price it is.

I don't want to see their accounts, none of my business, but from the looks of it they are an expanding business - literally, they just announced a 6th Dublin premises - employing people, creating choice and if that means they are making money then that's absolutely brilliant, I hope they become millionaires and buy a gaf in the Seychelles - but keep making that lovely beer.

This again?

They are a business, not a charity.

If the market conditions are allowing them to charge their current prices then more power to them. We don't live in a communist country, it's called capitalism, they are in the beer making business to make a profit. There are enough people willing to pay the prices they charge to make it a sustainable business - that's how it works. They are not obliged to keep prices low. If YOU want to drink cheaper beer, take your custom elsewhere. If enough people do that then their prices will drop, but as far as I can see, more and more people are buying their beer at the price it is.

I don't want to see their accounts, none of my business, but from the looks of it they are an expanding business - literally, they just announced a 6th Dublin premises - employing people, creating choice and if that means they are making money then that's absolutely brilliant, I hope they become millionaires and buy a gaf in the Seychelles - but keep making that lovely beer.

I do drink the same beer elsewhere for much cheaper

My point is they are getting close to biting the hand that feeds them

Well sir you should join Beoir, as you get 10 euro of vouchers to use for GGB beers. which is automatic 100% return on you members fee :)

http://www.beoir.org

*Ends shameless plug* :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I do drink the same beer elsewhere for much cheaper

What beers out of interest and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

RasTa wrote: »

Galway bay beers in their own pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Well sir you should join Beoir, as you get 10 euro of vouchers to use for GGB beers. which is automatic 100% return on you members fee :)

I lost mine during a house move :(

Are they doing them again this year? Might need to update my address

RasTa wrote: »

A pint of Aspall was 60 cent cheaper in the Beerhouse compared to Black Sheep last time I checked.

Not a Galway Bay product but it shows their pricing is to extract the maximum like every other publican in Dublin

Not a Galway Bay product but it shows their pricing is to extract the maximum like every other publican in Dublin business in the world

Business wants profits shocker.

Why are people so hung up an a business charging the market sustainable value for their product.

It's bordering on the weird.

This is a company that is expanding, doing well and actually improving the sector in which they operate, it's so bizarre the way certain people go on about them.

• Advertisement

A pint of Aspall was 60 cent cheaper in the Beerhouse compared to Black Sheep last time I checked.

God forbid a business makes it's own product more attractive to buy than a competitor's brand.

The humanity.

matrim wrote: »
    I lost mine during a house move :(

Are they doing them again this year? Might need to update my address

Yes they are

God forbid a business makes it's own product more attractive to buy than a competitor's brand.

The humanity.

That would be a fair pint if they had a similar product THEY produced on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Meh, cider.

I generally only buy Irish draught beers when I'm in their pubs and for example their beers(not a GBB beer) are only €1.25 more expensive then buying in the off license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

What does this mean, because they brew the beer they should be obliged to sell it for less than they could otherwise get? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The 10% discount in Drinkstore is another benefit. Last years Xmas beer stock up for me covered my membership cost and then some :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

drumswan wrote: »
    What does this mean, because they brew the beer they should be obliged to sell it for less than they could otherwise get? Why?

I'm no economics man but I believe the phenomenon is called vertical integration. There is no guarantee that prices will be lower as a result but we are certainly used to prices being lower as a result. Tesco brand pasta is cheaper than Roma pasta. For the consumer the perk of buying a generic brand is the lower price. For the shop the perk is attracting customers and either earning more money or earning the same amount, while allowing customers to buy more.

So I think the bitterness about GBB prices comes down to an expectation of lower prices that most people regard as implicit in the deal. GBB are well in their rights not to pass the savings on to consumers, of course, but it is a little bit annoying.

For the sake of comparison, the Porterhouse's prices have historically been quite low on their range of beers.

I think all of us would appreciate lower prices so I don't know why people go so far out of their way to defend the practice. But we're all free market capitalists here, to repeat myself from a previous thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I'm no economics man but I believe the phenomenon is called vertical integration. There is no guarantee that prices will be lower as a result but we are certainly used to prices being lower as a result. Tesco brand pasta is cheaper than Roma pasta. For the consumer the perk of buying a generic brand is the lower price. For the shop the perk is attracting customers and either earning more money or earning the same amount, while allowing customers to buy more.

So I think the bitterness about GBB prices comes down to an expectation of lower prices that most people regard as implicit in the deal.
    But GBB are not a generic brand, they are one of the top micros in the country and are selling a premium, award winning product. I dont think people are expecting the beer equivalent of own-brand pasta when they go to a GBB bar, are they? Would certainly explain some of the more bizarre attitudes that seem to think GBB should be run like some kind of co-op for their benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't think anyone really considers GBB a co-op run for their benefit though. The real point is that they're doing everything possible to eek every last cent out of their produce to the point where they ask about as much for it as they can get away with. Now, yes, it's good beer but killing off a loyalty scheme that wasn't madly generous to begin with doesn't look overly customer friendly. Apple are about as close to GBB in terms of price philosophy as you'd get I think. Even Apple though give you some cheap alternatives at the time and the Apple product I buy today I'll still have in 3 years time. GBB beers though, not so much after I make a trip to the jacks! :)

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    Even Apple though give you some cheap alternatives
    How many Dublin* pubs have permanent €4 pint option? And how many of them are as tasty as Galway Bay Via Maris?

*adjust location and price for Galway as appropriate

Advertisement