Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford S-Max Maintenance ...

Options
  • 14-10-2014 1:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

Afraid motors are not my strong point, 09 S-Max 1.8 diesel went for service last week and the following were recommended on the healthcheck at Ford garage...

Intercooler pipe going to top of engine leaking oil, he said it was small and leaking now and then but would only get worse, cost to replace quoted was €129 (part €87.50+VAT plus labour).

Brake fluid failed boiling point test, cost to remedy €48

Exhaust mid-box leaking, cost to cut out, replace (with non-ford part) and solder up €175.

Do these prices look reasonable to folk that are more in the know and what are the consequences with leaving as is. In fairness this would be the first repair work on the car with 112k on the clock.

Cheers!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

All prices seem reasonable but I'd be worried why an intercooler pipe is leaking oil, you must have a turbo seal gone to be getting a noticeable run of oil from it.
    Is it using oil?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

YbFocus wrote: »
    All prices seem reasonable but I'd be worried why an intercooler pipe is leaking oil, you must have a turbo seal gone to be getting a noticeable run of oil from it.
    Is it using oil?

Leak not that noticeable, he said it's small and not leaking that much but will only get bigger, not using oil to my knowledge.

PS Posted some pictures here for ye to say thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

slave1 wrote: »
    Leak not that noticeable, he said it's small and not leaking that much but will only get bigger, not using oil to my knowledge.

PS Posted some pictures here for ye to say thanks!!!

It's it weldable? Could be a cheaper fix if so :)
    Ah yeah its allowed to have a blow of oil alright!

I doubt it's weldable, standard 1.8TDCI piping Modeo etc

Guys, I haven't made a move on this yet, would you advise this maintenance work to be carried out now or could I wait 6 months to get done just before NCT??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Guys, I haven't made a move on this yet, would you advise this maintenance work to be carried out now or could I wait 6 months to get done just before NCT??

Now. Sounds like the brake fluid could do with changing, and if that intercooler hose fails the turbocharger is gone, and possibly the engine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

If the intercooler pipe is leaking the car could be down on power, also if it is the intercooler pipe work and not turbo oil feed it failing won't damage the turbo unless something large is ingested and at that the pipe work is after the turbo.
    Anything ingested would end up in the inlet manifold.
    The leaking oil if it is from the intercooler pipe work is a small amount from the breather system.

If it's the gray coloured belows type rubber pipes replace it yourself in 5 mins. I had the same happen to a 1.8tdci focus I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Folks,

Afraid motors are not my strong point, 09 S-Max 1.8 diesel went for service last week and the following were recommended on the healthcheck at Ford garage...

Intercooler pipe going to top of engine leaking oil, he said it was small and leaking now and then but would only get worse, cost to replace quoted was €129 (part €87.50+VAT plus labour).

Brake fluid failed boiling point test, cost to remedy €48

Exhaust mid-box leaking, cost to cut out, replace (with non-ford part) and solder up €175.

Do these prices look reasonable to folk that are more in the know and what are the consequences with leaving as is. In fairness this would be the first repair work on the car with 112k on the clock.

Cheers!

There would be no panic on any of those bits intercooler pipe leaking is only a weep most likely just what gets blown out around the the jubilee clip. Brake fluid is due to be replaced every two years and the "failing boiling test" is only an option on the vhc system that can be chosen.
    Is the exaust noticable can you hear it blowing ive never seen one gone or replaced a centre box.

Prices would be about right if you are anyway handy you could do the intercooler pipe and brake fluid yourself though.

Advertisement