Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are WestJet like to fly with?

Options
  • 14-10-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Suppose this could go in Travel section but seems appropriate here.

Looking at flights from Dublin to Vancouver (or anywhere in Canada really) and the difference in price is crazy. Aerlingus, BA, AirCanada etc are all around £1200 while WestJet are £362!! What's the story there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Westjet are awesome! I'll always fly with them wherever possible. From Ireland they're probably using ba or aer lingus for the flights you're looking at so no clue why the major difference in price... It's likely the same plane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

COYVB wrote: »
    Westjet are awesome! I'll always fly with them wherever possible. From Ireland they're probably using ba or aer lingus for the flights you're looking at so no clue why the major difference in price... It's likely the same plane

WestJet have a (seasonal) service from Dublin to Toronto with a 2 hour stopover in St John's. It's operated by a 737-800.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Made my way to Calgary via St. John via Westjet, was flown to & from job Calgary-Prince George with them & made my way from Calgary to Vancouver with them. No bull, decent airline. I'll fly with them if I can most times.

Never thought you could cross the Atlantic in a 737, but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

Anyone any idea of the baggage allowance on westjet? Its not very clear from the website. I am looking to fly from Dublin to Ottawa with them and their prices seem almost too good to be true is their hidden baggage charges like Ryanair?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

A very simple Google search found this: http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/fare-bundles/fare-bundles.shtml.

Depends on ticket type.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    A very simple Google search found this: http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/fare-bundles/fare-bundles.shtml.

Depends on ticket type.

Thanks i did come across that also i should have phrased my question a little better its the flex fare and plus fair option that confused me but it seems you have to pay for checked in bags if you book economy. So it explains the cheap prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

GerPower wrote: »
    Thanks i did come across that also i should have phrased my question a little better its the flex fare and plus fair option that confused me but it seems you have to pay for checked in bags if you book economy. So it explains the cheap prices.

If travelling international you get one free bag
    Flights to/from international destinations (the Caribbean, Central America, Europe and Mexico) include one checked bag. Guests who purchased an Econo fare prior to September 15, 2014 still receive their first checked bag at no charge, provided no changes to the booking are made.

If travelling international you get one free bag

Thanks for that i did come across that also but these terms and conditions do tend to change now again, but i think i will still go with them and bring an extra checked bag, still way cheaper than Air Canada and the rest even if its the Ryanair of transatlantic flying.

Just out of interest have you flown with this airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

Considering booking flights to Vancouver with this company largely because the cost of extra baggage is relatively cheap. I can see from their website that you get charged for extra baggage and the number of free bags depends on the ticket level you go for. Does anyone know if there is a limit on the total number of bags you can check? I presume not but wanted to be sure before booking. Need to bring 3-4 bags. Have tried their UK helpline (that's where I'm based)but the call wouldn't connect. Any help appreciated!

• Advertisement

TheNibbler wrote: »
    Considering booking flights to Vancouver with this company largely because the cost of extra baggage is relatively cheap. I can see from their website that you get charged for extra baggage and the number of free bags depends on the ticket level you go for. Does anyone know if there is a limit on the total number of bags you can check? I presume not but wanted to be sure before booking. Need to bring 3-4 bags. Have tried their UK helpline (that's where I'm based)but the call wouldn't connect. Any help appreciated!

I booked a normal seat with them to Ottawa and you get the first bag free and then the next one is charged around $25-29.50 and then a third bag is charged at $75-88.50 and a fourth bag will be charged again at that rate.

So it can work out expensive if you are bringing a third bag and so on, i'm kind of lucky that i will only need a second and just pay at check-in for it. To save space buy a few vacuum storage bags so you can cram more into your bags works out cheaper too, they can be got in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭TheNibbler

GerPower wrote: »
    I booked a normal seat with them to Ottawa and you get the first bag free and then the next one is charged around $25-29.50 and then a third bag is charged at $75-88.50 and a fourth bag will be charged again at that rate.

So it can work out expensive if you are bringing a third bag and so on, i'm kind of lucky that i will only need a second and just pay at check-in for it. To save space buy a few vacuum storage bags so you can cram more into your bags works out cheaper too, they can be got in Argos.

Thanks. Yeah, have gotten some vacuum storage bags-just have to work out keeping the bags under 23kgs now! $75-88.50 seemed to be an ok price compared to other airlines so I'm happy enough to pay it as I'd have to go for an expensive shipping option otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭horse7

Do u have to bring ur own blanket,headphones,food,movies?

Advertisement