Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't people print anymore?

Options
  • 14-10-2014 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I love printing everything I type up and don't understand the decline in the use of printers, why don't you people print anymore?? Has printing become irrelevant? What can we do to keep printing cool?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Won't somebody think of the rainforests :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

PDF & cheap storage. I print when I need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I used to print things out when I was a journalist but then I discovered I could just go on boards.ie start a thread and cut and paste the responses into a clickbait list instead.

Much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

Liquid ink is dearer than liquid gold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I love printing everything I type up and don't understand the decline in the use of printers, why don't you people print anymore?? Has printing become irrelevant? What can we do to keep printing cool?

Hiya Meg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I still print, if by print you mean screen or block. Not entirely clear on why you'd be quite so enthused about yer standard home computer printer...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

I still print, if by print you mean screen or block. Not entirely clear on why you'd be quite so enthused about yer standard home computer printer...

Look at the name and post number for a real good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Have you seen the price of ink?
    Here, have a printer for €50, then spend rest of your life spending a fortune on ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Printing.
    It's a dyeing art...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Reoil wrote: »
    Have you seen the price of ink?
    Here, have a printer for €50, then spend rest of your life spending a fortune on ink.

Usually as cheap or cheaper just to buy a new printer than replace the ink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Cos everything is going towards being all digital and its much cheaper and easier to have everything emailed or whatever. I've gone all digital for college this year, so much easier, no more giant piles of paper I never do anything with or have to throw away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

What do you ever need to print these days? I print boarding passes, that's about it.. Everything else can be viewed on my phone if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Hi OP, how's the weather over in Lagos?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

What can we do to keep printing cool?

Have Printers become self aware, set up boards accounts and create pointless AH Threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

PC Load Letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Has anyone ever owned a printer that actually worked properly, and never gave them any trouble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

With water charges coming in printing will be obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

goose06 wrote: »

Yeah because that's a great way to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

coz its huge waste of money,have a stupid epson printer,that if one color runs out it wont print at all :? ,that crap aside it also has functions of circulating and heating up ink before hand,and cleaning itself up once done,so average id get is full few pages of printing done on it,and most use it gets is from printing boarding passes once every few months at best. place where i work would of spend up to 360e every two weeks for cartridges alone even thou its mostly black and white.and printer is like 6 years old. Add to this that most companies who sell printers only make cash on refills. So yeah liquid gold is correct term. its actually cheaper to buy new low cost printer every time ink runs out with few cartridges included for home users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

scamalert wrote: »
    coz its huge waste of money,have a stupid epson printer,that if one color runs out it wont print at all :? ,that crap aside it also has functions of circulating and heating up ink before hand,and cleaning itself up once done,so average id get is full few pages of printing done on it,and most use it gets is from printing boarding passes once every few months at best. place where i work would of spend up to 360e every two weeks for cartridges alone even thou its mostly black and white.and printer is like 6 years old. Add to this that most companies who sell printers only make cash on refills. So yeah liquid gold is correct term. its actually cheaper to buy new low cost printer every time ink runs out with few cartridges included for home users.

I never saw black and white ink......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭goose06

Yeah because that's a great way to carry on.

I'm sorry if I offended you just pointing out the simple economics of owning a printer. Don't have one myself, why bother when the one in work is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Printing people works much better with 3D printers. You can even print body parts like breast implants or a big penis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

goose06 wrote: »

Until you find out that they only supplied a starter cartridge in the new printer and you have in fact been throwing away money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Printing people works much better with 3D printers. You can even print body parts like breast implants or a big penis :)

So if you were to print a person you'd have them with silicon implants rather than real breasts? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

What do you ever need to print these days? I print boarding passes, that's about it.. Everything else can be viewed on my phone if needs be.

You don't even have to do that anymore. You can scan them from your phone.

Super. Cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You don't even have to do that anymore. You can scan them from your phone.

Super. Cool!

Yeah, but with paper the battery never dies because you played with it too long at the gate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's really very simple.

Not printing things is a trick that's crept out from State services.

If It's not on paper, it doesn't exist, so it can be ignored.

Seems to work well for them, which is why it's becoming more popular elsewhere.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

The office used to have a large laser printer / photocopier which had no replacement parts over its more than a decade of life and took bottles of powdered ink approaching 800ml for 40 quid.

Similar to the same way that lightbulb companies conspired once upon a time to shorten lightbulb life to 1000 hrs
    (The Phoebus cartel and enforced obsolescence
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/geek-life/history/the-great-lightbulb-conspiracy
    http://economicstudents.com/2012/09/planned-obsolescence-the-light-bulb-conspiracy/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebus_cartel
    )

The horrible fragility and expiring spare parts of printers today and the cost of ink stinks of a similar co-incidence of designed short life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Yeah, but with paper the battery never dies because you played with it too long at the gate.

What if you're happily playing with your piece of paper and it rips? Although, in fairness, this may also happen to the iPhone 6. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Is it possible to print a small penis too? Or a medium? I need answers dammit!

Advertisement