Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dumbells Vs barbell for chest workout

Options
  • 14-10-2014 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I would like to hear peoples opinion on which is better dumbells or a barbell for doing a chest workout and why?

TB26

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do both. Not in every workout and not necessarily even every cycle but I wouldn't necessarily pick one over the other and use it exclusively for evermore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If flat benching, almost certainly DB unless you're already very good at "activating" your chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Dumbells while you can, after a while it gets difficult to get them into place, and you're looking at 5kg increments rather than the 2.5kg a barbell allows, which is hard to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

The reason i asked this was because the right side of my chest seems to be getting more of a workout than the left.

So my thinking was it would be better to use dumbells? This way each side has to work as hard?

Was concerned by using dumbells it might not be as good a workout as with barbell

TB26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    The reason i asked this was because the right side of my chest seems to be getting more of a workout than the left.

So my thinking was it would be better to use dumbells? This way each side has to work as hard?

Was concerned by using dumbells it might not be as good a workout as with barbell

TB26

If powerlifting isn't your goal and the dumbbells are still heavy enough they are better than barbells for exactly the reason you've mention as well as a potentially greater range of motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Would the same logic apply to DB shoulder press vs OHP with a barbell?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesRussel

Barbell is better imo. If only because it allows for easier and greater progression.

I think the "dumbbells make both sides work" argument is nonsense. If your form is symmetrical and the bar goes up evenly, then both sides are working equally in barbell bench press. Heres a tip, pause at the bottom of every rep, and make sure the weight is evenly balanced. Oh..and dont use collars..like, ever. If you notice plates have moved after your set, then one side of the bar is going up faster than the other.

cliffs:
    dont bench like this guy
    yout ube.com/watch?v=WDBP_xdzyxI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've been doing inclined benches with dumb bells but I found I need a spotter to help me get them into place with anything over 25kg. Is there better way to get them into place then trying to lift them off the floor when you're in place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

" it is an unfortunate reality that most people the first place they go when they walk into the gym is the dumbell rack , this is usually bull**** " rippetoe. The barbell is king for many reasons , use the barbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

KTRIC wrote: »
    I've been doing inclined benches with dumb bells but I found I need a spotter to help me get them into place with anything over 25kg. Is there better way to get them into place then trying to lift them off the floor when you're in place ?

While sitting on the bench, lift them onto your Knees and then Roll back - attempt with manageable weights first :) Once you get the knack any weight will be movable into position.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭abstrakt82

i think if you're natural, then your first exercise should be with a barbell as it allows you to add weight more progressively than a dumbbell, because of the smaller increments available.

personally i do barbell movements in the lower rep range and dumbells in the higher rep range as my third exercise.

works ok for me, chest has always been a lagging area but i seem to be making decent progress with this routine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I am using 35kg dunb bells now (4 sets @ 10 reps) I am wary of doing too much with the bar bell as I am afraid of dropping it on myself so the most I lifted on it was 80kg. At least with the DB's you can drop them if things get too much. I think I could lift 40kg dumbells but in my gym the next step up weight from 35kg is 45kg - too heavy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I am using 35kg dunb bells now (4 sets @ 10 reps) I am wary of doing too much with the bar bell as I am afraid of dropping it on myself so the most I lifted on it was 80kg. At least with the DB's you can drop them if things get too much. I think I could lift 40kg dumbells but in my gym the next step up weight from 35kg is 45kg - too heavy for me.

If it's too heavy it won't drop on you it will come down slowly and not go back up. That' when you bring it to your chest and roll it off you. I've done this far too many times :confused:.

I need to find a gym buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 King Leonidas

Dumbbells help prevent/even out an unsymmetrical chest. On a dumbbell bench your activating stabilising muscles. Still nothing wrong with barbell bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Dumbbells help prevent/even out an unsymmetrical chest. On a dumbbell bench your activating stabilising muscles. Still nothing wrong with barbell bench.

Barbell activates stabilisers as well. It's not a fixed range of motion like a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 King Leonidas

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Barbell activates stabilisers as well. It's not a fixed range of motion like a machine.

Dumbbell Benching recruits more stabiliser muscles as well as shoulder stability. Also using a barbell restricts your range of motion as your holding onto one solid bar, your arms have no choice but to move out and inline with your shoulders. If you use a dumbbell your arms end up coming in above your middle chest extending the range of motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,846 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Blacktie. wrote: »
    If it's too heavy it won't drop on you it will come down slowly and not go back up. That' when you bring it to your chest and roll it off you.

The roll of shame :)

I found that hard to deal with once the total weight was approaching 100kg

As another poster said, never put on collars. If you get caught, just shake off the weights. Have done it a couple of times myself...

Advertisement