Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Swim Group - c50min for 3.8k

Options
  • 13-10-2014 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Anyone out there interested in setting up a swim group. Looking at early morning somewhere in Dublin.

Idea would be 3 times a week and aim would be to hit a low 50 minutes by the summer for 3.8k (I'm doing Austria).

As an indicator of what I would be looking for is a group who could hit 1.15-1.20 going off 1.30 and holding this for 20-30 x 100.

Pool wise - I am in the KCR at the minute - not ideal as it can get a bit congested. Open to suggestions but ideally on the South side of Dublin.

Just looking to see if there are people out there that can swim at this pace and would be interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'm expecting tumbleweed....

But best of luck! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yeah count me in although a bit too slow for me as i normally go off 1.05s.

In my 5ft paddling pool that is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

friday morning would suit me and i have not done proper swims for a few years now . rathmines only opens at 7 but is quiet friday mornings. and most people are a bit more flexible friday morning a 90 min session could work out

ps would be flexible on location but friday morning is the only morning I could do during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭audiRon

I'd be interested alright. But would depend on the location. Earlier in the morning would be better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

For what it's worth, IMA is so fast that if you aim to be a 1:30 swimmer in a pool you'll hit 50min on race day. I used to swim 100's of 1:55 (fastest at 1:35), hoping to be about 1:12 on race day and I broke 1:05 in Austria.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shedite27 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, IMA is so fast that if you aim to be a 1:30 swimmer in a pool you'll hit 50min on race day. I used to swim 100's of 1:55 (fastest at 1:35), hoping to be about 1:12 on race day and I broke 1:05 in Austria.

Short or actually fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Short or actually fast?
    Fast I'd say. The last 1k is down a canal going with the current, fastest 1k of my life.

Also, when looking at splits there, the pro's get a 200m headstart, so it's only 3.6k for them

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

peter kern wrote: »
    friday morning would suit me and i have not done proper swims for a few years now . rathmines only opens at 7 but is quiet friday mornings. and most people are a bit more flexible friday morning a 90 min session could work out

ps would be flexible on location but friday morning is the only morning I could do during the week

Fri perfect for me and rathmines is on way to work. I havent trained properly in the pool for years so will take a wee bit to get back some swim form.

Doing marathon so will be getting back in the pool straight after that. Havent swum since frankfurt!

Will see if anymore replies go up and then try and pull something together.

audiRon wrote: »
    I'd be interested alright. But would depend on the location. Earlier in the morning would be better for me.

Been speaking with peter offline

Going to start this at 7am on the 7th nov in rathmines. Expect sessions will b around 90 mins.

Will post up again that week to remind. Let me know if coming.

Plan will to be just pay in and get in a lane together. Between us we can decide the set.

Darren

Mr Tango wrote: »

Going to start this at 7am on the 7th nov in rathmines. Expect sessions will b around 90 mins.

Plan will to be just pay in and get in a lane together. Between us we can decide the set.

Darren

Grand job. How much is it for a swim there? Can joe public just jump in?

• Advertisement

Darren

Darren

It's 6 euro per swim to enter Rathmines
    I think 1 year membership is 30 a month
    Both myself and tango not in swim shape so a few weeks of warm up will be needed to hit tangos proposed numbers .
    The goal is to have a few committed people .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Rathmines pool do a triathlon coached swim on a Monday morning and Thursday evening, found the coaching good. Pool facilities are top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Tibulus wrote: »
    Rathmines pool do a triathlon coached swim on a Monday morning and Thursday evening, found the coaching good. Pool facilities are top class.

Swam there a few times. Nice pool but be mindful the water is usually on the hot side. If your pushing the pace, keep well hydrated

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Would you be willing to share the set? I'm over the other side of the island, but would be very interested in seeing what the typical set (and times) you plan on working off are.

SucCes09 wrote: »
    Would you be willing to share the set? I'm over the other side of the island, but would be very interested in seeing what the typical set (and times) you plan on working off are.

No problem.

Pm me if u want me to send u a link to the type if sets i do ( and get the guys in phoenix to do)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 averageswim

Let me know if ye doing another morning besides Monday or Friday as would be keen to join a swimming group in Rathmines.

SucCes09 wrote: »

As promised. We met up friday. 4 in the lane and did the following.

300 warm up
    6x200 free off 3.20 hitting about 2.50
    4x400 off 6.30 hitting 6mins
    5x200 off 3.20 hitting about 2.55
    100 cool down

Took about one hr 20 mins.

Havent swum like this in yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Has the pool temp changed much?

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Has the pool temp changed much?
    i dodnt think so .

As promised. We met up friday. 4 in the lane and did the following.

300 warm up
    6x200 free off 3.20 hitting about 2.50
    4x400 off 6.30 hitting 6mins
    5x200 off 3.20 hitting about 2.55
    100 cool down

Took about one hr 20 mins.

Havent swum like this in yrs.

Serious swimming that - thanks for the update.
    Would it be possible to publish this every couple of weeks? I'm about 5 seconds per 100 slower then your times above - it will be interesting to see how this chnages over the coming months.
    My current sets are 2500-3000m, but will be increasing the distances over the next few weeks.

Couldn't make it last Friday due to work travel. I'll be there this week

same set as 2 weeks ago but an average 2.5 sec faster per 100 and 10 less rest for 400.

was dreading the session ( and even brought 2nd pb with me ) but was defo better than 2 weeks ago

Are you swimming similiar sets during your "normal" training, or where are you seeing the improvement?

when i swim alone iam happy if i break 1.40 for 100s and you are lucky to keep me in the water 45 min right now ( after i coach a swim session I have 0 inspiration to swim i feel more way tired after i coach 90 min than after todays session and right now swiming is a struggle for me)

anyway 1 good swim session has quite an impact when you are unfit and in between i did a 400m tt so that also has an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You need less demanding students Peter ;)

Advertisement