Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will it take to run a 2 hour marathon - Runners World Article

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I read this article a couple of days ago, very interesting and very thorough in its scope.

I've long felt that it is unlikely I will ever see a sub2. The absolute carnage that has happened on any occasion when a strong group has gone at around 2:02 pace (London 2013 for eg), along with the fact that many of the athletes currently running 2:03-4 can't get under the 60 for the HM, suggest it's an impossibility.

There's rarely any talk about how an improved economy in East Africa might lead to less young people seeing running as the only path to a decent livelihood. We hear that advancements in running science might make sub2 possible in 30-40 years. Will the most ambitious, determined individuals still be motivated by marathoning or will they be wasting their genetic advantages because their parents bought them a play station as a present?

Advertisement