Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate - Anxiety Issues.

Options
  • 13-10-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I've always been quite an anxious person, even from a young age it's shown itself in different ways throughout my school years and looking back I feel school always triggered the things I felt anxious over. However, throughout the whole of fifth year and over the Summer my life has been taken over by my anxiety over the Leaving Cert and obviously has continued into sixth year.

In 5th year I did French for 3/4 of the year, I was only capable of achieving 60% in ordinary Level (without the oral or aural) which I wasn't comfortable with. I switched to Geography as I am capable of doing higher level in that subject and hopefully achieving a good grade

This year I decided to still sit the French exam and hopefully get a D3 in ordinary level just to widen my options, as I am very indecisive and change my mind frequently about where and what I want to do in collage. I also do one class of French each week every Monday.

I have decided that I want to be a Pharmacy Technician. And wish to attend DIT's course in it, which was 350 this year. I want this really badly but my anxiety prevents me from being able to study hard as I get emotional over the stress. I also don't need French for this course but I still feel I should keep my options open even though I'm completely certain of this course.

(Also if anyone knows about FETAC courses I could take as a plan B to get in that way)

I'm quite a bright person and I'm capable of achieving good grades but, I'm not capable of doing tons and tons of study as it's stresses me out and make the studying useless.

I still have not revised the stuff I missed in geography last year it is just the physical part. (I also got the highest grade in the Summer tests out of the year although I was only there for a few months.)

My favourite subject is biology and I hope to excel in that! And I am quite talented at art. ( I feel my creativity is lacking at the moment due to stress and anxiety which is affecting that subject though.)

Do you think I'll be able to get the grade I want, I don't know what to do? Maybe I should talk to my guidance counsellor about my anxiety because it's taking over my life at the moment. I feel like the leaving cert is the be all and end all even though it isn't.

My subjects:

English - H
    Irish - O
    Maths - O
    Biology - H
    Geography - H
    Art - H
    History - H

French - O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Careers portal shows a number of PLCs that let you gain entry into the course (http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/coursedetail.php?course_id=524#.VDw1pYqkqnN) look under FETAC links..

This Pharmacy Assistant course looks like it would be a good PLC to do to get in! > http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=194?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=3413

Maybe you could apply to the DARE scheme since anxiety is impacting your school life? I'm not sure about any of this I don't know a lot about PLCs but I hope the links helped, definitely talk to your guidance counsellor, good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

Have you ever tried counselling to sort out your anxiety issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pugsforbubbles

Maybe you could apply to the DARE scheme since anxiety is impacting your school life? I'm not sure about any of this I don't know a lot about PLCs but I hope the links helped, definitely talk to your guidance counsellor, good luck :)[/quote]

Would I be eligible for the DARE scheme? I didn't think anxiety issues would be considered.

Maybe you could apply to the DARE scheme since anxiety is impacting your school life? I'm not sure about any of this I don't know a lot about PLCs but I hope the links helped, definitely talk to your guidance counsellor, good luck :)

Would I be eligible for the DARE scheme? I didn't think anxiety issues would be considered.

The website says they'll consider people with a report by a consultant psychiatrist outlining the diagnosed mental issue. So if you've been diagnosed then I presume so? The report has to be less than 3 years old.

• Advertisement

"The website says they'll consider people with a report by a consultant psychiatrist outlining the diagnosed mental issue. So if you've been diagnosed then I presume so? The report has to be less than 3 years old." [/quote]

I haven't been diagnosed with a mental issue and I haven't spoken to any psychiatrist so I won't be eligible for that. I'd imagine that's for individuals with more severe cases, I don't know I'm not sure. Thank you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Definitely speak to your Guidance Counsellor about your options and how you're feeling. Also ask about study techniques you might not be aware of - you might just find some strategies to help you achieve more in each study session, and to approach it without feeling overwhelmed by stress.
    I'd also consider asking to meet with your year head and subject teachers to talk about how you're getting on in each subject and how they feel you can improve/continue to do well in each one, as well as making them aware of how anxious you're feeling. Most teachers will be happy to work with a proactive student towards making their time in school more effective and less stressful!
    Your art could be a great stress-buster if you can separate it from what you're doing in art class towards the Leaving Cert - when I went through a period of anxiety and depression during a tough year in college I immersed myself in oil painting and I really can't express how much it helped me. It's important to have something else in your life besides studying and worrying about studying, so make sure you have some 'you time' at least once a week where you can just relax doing something you enjoy, whether it's exercise, being creative, spending time with friends and family... as you say yourself, the Leaving Cert isn't the be all and end all, you have to prioritise your health and happiness :)

dee_mc wrote: »
    Definitely speak to your Guidance Counsellor about your options and how you're feeling. Also ask about study techniques you might not be aware of - you might just find some strategies to help you achieve more in each study session, and to approach it without feeling overwhelmed by stress.
    I'd also consider asking to meet with your year head and subject teachers to talk about how you're getting on in each subject and how they feel you can improve/continue to do well in each one, as well as making them aware of how anxious you're feeling. Most teachers will be happy to work with a proactive student towards making their time in school more effective and less stressful!
    Your art could be a great stress-buster if you can separate it from what you're doing in art class towards the Leaving Cert - when I went through a period of anxiety and depression during a tough year in college I immersed myself in oil painting and I really can't express how much it helped me. It's important to have something else in your life besides studying and worrying about studying, so make sure you have some 'you time' at least once a week where you can just relax doing something you enjoy, whether it's exercise, being creative, spending time with friends and family... as you say yourself, the Leaving Cert isn't the be all and end all, you have to prioritise your health and happiness :)

I asked my guidance counsellor to talk to me when she has the chance this week.

One problem I've been having with art is that I've got into this horrible perfectionist mindset. This is not even just for art but, in general! I have to type up notes and essays for other subject otherwises the messiness makes me anxious.

When I'm doing art I continuesly rub it out and draw it again and this has only began in the last two years or so. It has become a problem for me.

I asked my guidance counsellor to talk to me when she has the chance this week.

One problem I've been having with art is that I've got into this horrible perfectionist mindset. This is not even just for art but, in general! I have to type up notes and essays for other subject otherwises the messiness makes me anxious.

When I'm doing art I continuesly rub it out and draw it again and this has only began in the last two years or so. It has become a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IncognitoX

You say you've never spoken to a psychiatrist or psychologist, would you not consider speaking to one?

• Advertisement

You say you've never spoken to a psychiatrist or psychologist, would you not consider speaking to one?[/quote]

Yes I would. I wouldn't want it to cost my parents though.

You say you've never spoken to a psychiatrist or psychologist, would you not consider speaking to one?

Yes I would. I wouldn't want it to cost my parents though.[/quote]

How old are you? I believe there's free services for u18s like CAMHS. Ask your GP maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

Yes I would. I wouldn't want it to cost my parents though.

CAMHS (Child and adolescent mental health services) is a free service, your GP should be able to refer you for anxiety.

Advertisement