Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

07 Audi a3 1.9 TDI, fan has started to stay on after switching off engine

Options
  • 13-10-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

it's only staying on for about 30-45 seconds, but its the 1st time ive noticed it, the temperature gauge is working fine, is this a common thing or is it the start
    of something ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

it's only staying on for about 30-45 seconds, but its the 1st time ive noticed it, the temperature gauge is working fine, is this a common thing or is it the start
    of something ?

Mine did that once or twice in the last year, for me it was just an active regeneration that hadn't finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭lau1247

yes i believe it is the mid of a regen process.. check the owners manual, it should say something on that

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Think its a feature of vw group engines My 132 Octavia does it on a regular basis but it does say in the manual that its due to stopping car in midst of active regeration of dpf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Happened on my 1.9 TDI, fan would come on after engine was switched off.

It would come on at Full Speed about 5 minutes after the car had been switched off until it eventually sapped the battery.

Culprit was the fan relay.

Relay box is stupidly located under the drivers wiper and water can sometimes seep into the box and fry the relays.

My money is on the fan relay! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

ION08 wrote: »
    Happened on my 1.9 TDI, fan would come on after engine was switched off.

It would come on at Full Speed about 5 minutes after the car had been switched off until it eventually sapped the battery.

Culprit was the fan relay.

Relay box is stupidly located under the drivers wiper and water can sometimes seep into the box and fry the relays.

My money is on the fan relay! ;)

doesnt come on for that long about 30 seconds if that, from the time i take the key out till i get to my front door, then its off

• Advertisement

doesnt come on for that long about 30 seconds if that, from the time i take the key out till i get to my front door, then its off

Doesnt have to come on for long. Any sort of erratic or unusual fan behaviour is nearly always down moisture in the relay/ecu box. (Google it)

If youre handy enough with a spanner open it up and have a look at least, it'll cost you nothing. :)

Doesnt have to come on for long. Any sort of erratic or unusual fan behaviour is nearly always down moisture in the relay/ecu box. (Google it)

If youre handy enough with a spanner open it up and have a look at least, it'll cost you nothing. :)

id only break something else !!

how much would a relay set me back

id only break something else !!

how much would a relay set me back

Yeah it can be a bit tricky as wiper arm and a few plastic bits have to come off so dont try unless youre confident in your ability :D

Relay was around 40e from the dealer iirc.

Yeah it can be a bit tricky as wiper arm and a few plastic bits have to come off so dont try unless youre confident in your ability :D

Relay was around 40e from the dealer iirc.

sound

Advertisement