Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT Side-slip/Alignment Test query

Options
  • 13-10-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My car failed its NCT today due to the rear axle failing the Side-slip/Alignment Test. It's a 2006 Mark 5 Golf.

I just have to get it seen to and bring it back within the month.

Am I looking to get the tracking done? Or is it the wheel alignment? Are they the same thing? And can anyone recommend a good place in South Dublin to get it done?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Is the rear axle in Golf adjustable?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

CiniO wrote: »
    Is the rear axle in Golf adjustable?

No idea, but I hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It is adjustable. That's probably all it needs as if any bushing was gone they would have picked that up.

Best to get 4 wheel alignment done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Get it check first as alignment shops will happily align a car with faulty bushings and youll be back getting another alignment.

Have you noticed any unusual tyre wear on rear tyres ?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

visual wrote: »
    Get it check first as alignment shops will happily align a car with faulty bushings and youll be back getting another alignment.

Have you noticed any unusual tyre wear on rear tyres ?

Yes, the left rear is wearing very quickly from the centre of the tyre outwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Waterson

Wheel camber can be adjusted on the rear suspension setups. Firstly do check for any play in the control arm bushes and have it fixed if any are found to be faulty. I recommend Westside Autocare in Kilcock for quality 3D 4 wheel alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The Mk5 Golf has independent rear suspension, which may have some adjustment built into it. That said, I'd probably have it checked over by a mechanic for wear in bushes or balljoints before getting an alignment done. An 8 year old car on its original parts is bound to have some wear in it by now.

Advertisement