Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying home in North Strand

Options
  • 13-10-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am planning to buy a property in North Strand, D3.

I am surprised that prices for that area are significantly lower than other areas in Dublin.
    Do you have any explanations for this difference?

Is North Strand a good area in terms of safety and proximity to city centre?

Thanks to all your contributions and suggestions ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I grew up there moved about 10years ago but have friends who's parents still live there. It depends on which street. Might sound strange but my road (Strandville Avenue) was quiet, mainly elderly people living there. On that side (Leinster avenue etc) the roads are generally nice residential streets. Across the road the avenues are closer to ballybough which is a bit rough. However on the other side of Strandville avenue and on the end of ossary road is east wall, they are seperated by the train tracks, no offence to anyone but east wall is quite rough. I wouldn't bring up a family there to be honest but fine for a single person or older couple. I also wouldn't walk around late at night past ossary road towards Amien street or Fairview park.

Basically it is handy for location. You could live on a lovely quiet street but have to pass many undesirables on your way to and from. It's about 10min walk to Henry street.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stargrrl

Hi,
    I have lived off North Strand Road for over 7 years, there's a nice mix in the neighbourhood and I've some great neighbours. It seems to attract a lot of artists/creative/media types as well as locals who have been there for generations.
    I agree with the last poster in that it can vary from street to street but generally most of the streets off to the right going in direction of Fairview are grand as are the majority between the canal bridge and Annesley bridge. Personally I have never had any issues either in terms of HASSLE walking home at night (am female), no attempted break-ins, car never messed with etc. So I would say it's a grand area. Very handy for town as well, lots of busses pass through, is ten mins walk from Connolly for Luas, Dart, rail and a fair amount of local amenities including great Italian/Pizzeria (Da Mimmo), Japanese Takeaway (Okayu), couple of decent pubs (Cusack's and Annasley House), a Community Garden (Mudisland Community Garden) and good selection of shops/supermarket etc nearby. apart from a bit of an ongoing 'litter' problem and things like dog crap on pavements I really don't have any complaints at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I personally think its bad area and the low house prices reflect this.. I was personally mugged here at knife point.. granted it was very late at night,, but I would never walk around there late at night alone..

The whole area around the flats towards the town end is like a demilitarized zone... I suggest you drive up there on a Saturday morning about 9:30am, you will see dozens of herion addicts on the streets, waiting to get their fix.., This is towards the Connolly station end, If you can find somewhere towards the Fairview end,, it would make a big difference..

I don't like to slag where people live,, but I have to be honest in my opinion,, It is a handy location,, I will give it that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Smith1977

Hello All, thinking of buying in North Strand Area very drawn to it for convenience reasons and the sense of community - there don't seem to be many posts past 2010 and wondering if anyone had any advice having lived there in the last 1-2 years?? All advice welcome, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Go walk around the area / drive your car around at different times of the day. Test out local shops etc.

Don't know the area that well but food idea to test it out before you make potentially the biggest financial decision of your life.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I'm not sure what people expect from threads like these as it really depends on your own personal prospective. The person early saying it was like the demilitarized zone must have a weird idea of normal. The area was undergoing significant gentrification when the crash happened and it looks like that picking up again. Depending on the specific roads in northstrand you could have a completely different home experience. That said it's the inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

While there’s no shortage of addicts to be seen anywhere in the city, it’s a bit weird to suggest the numbers down towards Connolly are ‘looking to get a fix’, rather than attend the methadone clinic that’s slap bang in that location, and dispenses from 9.30 Saturday mornings. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Smith1977 wrote: »
    Hello All, thinking of buying in North Strand Area very drawn to it for convenience reasons and the sense of community - there don't seem to be many posts past 2010 and wondering if anyone had any advice having lived there in the last 1-2 years?? All advice welcome, thanks

The only thing I would point out is to be very careful that you'll be able to get (affordable) home insurance if you buy in that area. Flood risk may be an issue.

Advertisement