Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Jobs Have The Most Holidays

• 12-10-2014 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Been in an 'office' job for several years now while my other half is in the teaching profession, I am getting sick of the amount of holidays they get versus mine (they earn more too!) and am considering a change of career. Just thinking of years to come with a family it would be great to have the extended leave in the summer because it would offer me more time to spend with my family, which is more important to me than any sum of money.

Apart from primary / secondary teaching, are there any other professions out there that have 'extended' leave such as in the standard teaching professions?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Been in an 'office' job for several years now while my other half is in the teaching profession, I am getting sick of the amount of holidays they get versus mine (they earn more too!) and am considering a change of career. Just thinking of years to come with a family it would be great to have the extended leave in the summer because it would offer me more time to spend with my family, which is more important to me than any sum of money.

Apart from primary / secondary teaching, are there any other professions out there that have 'extended' leave such as in the standard teaching professions?

Possibly college lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Government Minister. Get about 4 months a year off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Santa Claus has it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Go on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Asparagus picker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It depends, if they are a researcher as well, they usually only get the statutory holidays.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

It depends, if they are a researcher as well, they usually only get the statutory holidays.

Which is why I said possibly

Now that I think about it judges get decent breaks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I get 146 days off per year, and only actually work about 25% of the days that I'm in attendance :) I also get almost free first class air travel to many parts of the world, so I guess thats even better than the ministers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

smurfjed wrote: »
    I get 146 days off per year, and only actually work about 25% of the days that I'm in attendance :) I also get almost free first class air travel to many parts of the world, so I guess thats even better than the ministers :)

Michael D is on boards!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

I can tell you. Become a teacher in an IT or mickey mouse third level institute. A proper lecturing job is really a full time researcher role with a few hours of teaching. But lots of ITs have these lecturing roles where they do close to nothing. This is from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Its tough to beat the irish teacher / lecturer for the ole holidays. Its also tough to listen to what part of the country they will off to on the piss this week or what holiday they are going on.

Apart from weird unique jobs your best bet is some multinationals which give 30 days a year. I reckon though u'd be hard pressed to take them because work always piles up if your there or not.

You could also try instrumentation tech, the pay is good and you can often work a few weeks on a few weeks off. Disadvantage is the work is abroad and often on rigs or in refinerys, so your few weeks on is going to be boring as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭frankyboy1986

I used to work in the prison service,worked 7 days(long days) on followed by 7 off + 4 weeks leave.so out of 52 weeks a year I ended up only working 22 weeks and pay was reasonable enough and there was plenty of overtime available if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    my other half is in the teaching profession, I am getting sick of the amount of holidays they get versus mine

You really have to ask yourself, in all honesty, is this the best reason to change career?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some nurses work 12 hour shifts, and so work three days one week and four the next. Not all hospitals are organised that way though - and it's still not the long holiday that you desire. I think some security guards work the same way.

Another option is self-employment / freelancing in some area where you don't have to be permanently on-call for your clients. Journalism springs to mind. Public Relations would be another, if you could get a group of clients who don't need you in the summer.

Or some kind of seasonal work that's not needed in summer - road de-icer? Or where demand is lower, so employers would give you extra leave - maybe panelbeaters are quieter in summery (less bad weather = fewer crashes???). Sports coach for winter sports?

Some public servants can avail of the term-time feature, which lets them take extended unpaid leave in the summer to be with their children.

Office temping, and you just not accepting assignments over the summer, is another possibility. But remember that you have no guarantee of work for the rest of the year.

Mod-note: this thread is NOT about teacher bashing. Teaching at primary / secondary level is a seasonal occupation, they work long hours during term time, that is why they have long holidays. I've certainly seen research which supports this. Even if you have opinions or anecdotes which contradict this, this thread is NOT the place for them. Please concentrate on answering the OPs question. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I think they still do plenty work during the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Beaner1 wrote: »
    I can tell you. Become a teacher in an IT or mickey mouse third level institute. A proper lecturing job is really a full time researcher role with a few hours of teaching. But lots of ITs have these lecturing roles where they do close to nothing. This is from experience.

They get much time off in Summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Postmen are allowed to take "term time" where they can take unpaid leave for a month or more of the summer holidays. It gets deducted weekly from their wages so they don't have a huge drop during those holidays. I don't know if it's the same for other semi-states.

Advertisement