Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simultaneous Equations by Substitution

Options
  • 12-10-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hey all,
    can someone help me to solve these equations by substitution method,

2x-3y-2=0 , 2x-3y-2 = 0

every time i did, i end up in a totally unbalanced numbers in both sides, and its not supposed to be. so anyone could help, it'll be great!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Blogs forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

You have a mistake there somewhere - both equations are the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pruthive

2x − 3y − 2 = 0, 3x + 8y − 3 = 0

sorry these are the two equations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

I would start with the first equation. Express it in the form y=... Then substitute the expression represented by ... into the second equation for y. You then have an equation in one variable, x. Simplify this and you get the answer for x. Then substitute this value for x into the first equation and simplify to get the answer for y.

Show your attempt so far then we can attempt to identify the mistake and point out the remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Express x in terms of y:
    Taking the first expression, you can rearrange it to read : 2x = 3y +2. Divide by 2 to get x=1.5y +1.

Now, substitute that into the second:
    3x + 8y - 3 = 0 becomes
    3(1.5y + 1) +8y - 3 = 0.
    Expand this to get : 4.5y +3 + 8y -3 = 0
    Gather the terms:
    12.5y=0, so y=0.
    If y = 0, then x is.....? (Left for the OP)

• Advertisement
Advertisement